I'm picking up 16 chic's after my 12 hour shift AUGHHH

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momoftwinsinwi, May 29, 2007.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Wish I didn't have to pick them up and go straight to bed for my next shift, but I have the kiddy pool, feed, water and heat lamp ready! I probably won't sleep and will want to check on them every hour, but I'm getting them from a hatchery which can sex them as I only want layers, and the price was right, although I'll probably use about $25 in fuel!! LOL....My question is I bought the chic starter at TSG for feed and also bought chic grit...the chic grit said 1 pound per 20 of feed, so I mixed up about 20 cups of feed with 1 cup of grit and mixed it all together??? Now I hear I'm supposed to sprinkle it some say on the feed...some say around the feeder?? Also, I have paper toweling down throughout the pool but see that many of you put one area as kind of a nesting area with wood shavings?? I have a bag of it?? should I do that? Thanks ahead of time [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Chick starter normally has grit in it and doesn't need extra mixed in.

Put shaving down with paper towel over it. That way the chicks get to know what food is before they find the shavings and try to eat it.

When you get your chicks I would only give them water with a little sugar for about 12 hours to get them rehydrated before offering any food. You can avoid crop problems this way. Just take each chick and gentley dip its beak in the water dish as you put them in the brooder pen.

3. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    so no feed for about a day?? just water? thanks so much for your response....much appreciated! and i'll take up the paper towel and put some shavings down and then the paper towel over it

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It is so much more vital shipped chicks get water than food. They are always slightly dehydrated when they arrive. Giving them food right away increases the odds of a very dry digestive system and the problems associated with it.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My fresh hatched chicks prefer to sleep for the first day or two anyways so if you are getting them right away, water is indeed important, but it won't really hurt to put a bit of feed on the floor. If you are giving commercial feed though, you don't really need any grit in it. I don't give grit to my birds ever as they usually get to be on the ground before they get treats and pick up any rocks they want. Good luck! Don't forget to post pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by