I'm pretty bummed.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickenPeep, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    So, It's a week before Christmas, and i'm pretty sure my brother has strep throat.
    Last night we shared a water. I didn't want him to, but he just took a drink. I did drink after him, but I took off the top and straw and just drank out of the cup. Lets just hope he didn't backwash! [​IMG]
    I'm really hoping I won't get it! I think I have a pretty strong immune system (*knocks on wood*), so i'm really hoping i'll be anble to fight it off.
    He dosen't seem to have a fever, but he says his legs, neck, and head ache along with a sore throat.

I really hope I don't get it!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone know tips on how to strengthen your immune system?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Vitamin C.
    Also, there's this drink packet you can buy called Emergen-C you can drink when you've been exposed to a mild pathogen. Good luck!

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks eenie!
    I better load up onthe 'Cutie' clemintines then! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm eating one right now!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    I believe it takes 2 days for somebody to get sick after being exposed to a sick person. So that would give you until the 20th. Then you will have 5 days to recover. Which would most likely be plenty so long as you dont take another sip of your brothers water.

5. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Oh, darn. [​IMG] Those things are good... [​IMG]

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Songster

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    wash your hands frequently and try to avoid touching your face(nose, mouth, eyes) that's how illnesses are passed along.

7. lorain's fids :

wash your hands frequently and try to avoid touching your face(nose, mouth, eyes) that's how illnesses are passed along.

x2. And make sure you are washing for at least 20 - 30 seconds, with soapy water. Otherwise, your just putting those germs on the handtowel.
    I'm what you call "cootie phobic", so anytime my girls get sick, I clorox wipe everything they touch; tv remote, keyboard, mouse, cupboards, faucets, etc. What I can't wipe down, I spray with lysol. I also take Zicam. It's supposed to help either prevent a cold or virus from coming on, or at least shorten the duration of it. Not sure how it would work for strep, but it usually works pretty good for me with colds. You take it at the first signs of any symptoms, then like every 3-4 hours till symptoms are gone. I've had about 50 - 50 luck with it. I did some research on how quickly viruses can spread. I know that with the stomach flu, which is what I fear most, you can catch it from someone in as little as a matter of hours, up to days. I know some viruses can live on surfaces for days, which is why I wipe everything down. Good luck, hope you don't catch it!!​

8. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Vitamin C tablets!! I take one every other day! Oh and yes oranges, Cuties (I have them too! [​IMG]), and orange juice!

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks everyone!
    Eenie, I took your advice and got some Emergen-c, the Pomegranite-cranberry stuff. Pretty good!
    Again, thanks for your advice, and I really hope I don't get it! I want to be heathy for Christmas.

10. chickened

chickened Crowing

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by