I'm pretty mad at my roo right now!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was worried about letting the chickens out in the severe weather they forecast for us today, but when I checked the hour by hour on weather.com it said it wasn't s'pose to get severe until around 5 PM, so I let them out.
    The stormy weather arrived early, so I went out at 3 to round them up and back in their coop. Four pieces of bread and I managed to get all but one hen and my roo Thor back in the coop.
    When I stepped back out of the coop to get those two, Thor made one of his alarm noises that basically told that hen I was evil and to be avoided at all costs.
    So I spent the next 45 minutes chasing one roo and one hen all over the place in the pouring rain. No fences and 80 acres, I didn't stand a chance. I tried the catch pole, a fishing net, no go. Those things only work if you can get close enough to use them.
    I finally called them some not-so-nice names and came back in the house.
    An hour later I went to the coop to check on the rest of the hens and another one escaped. An hour later I finally caught the two hens, but not Thor.
    At 6:30 I look out the window to see poor Thor standing under the overhang on the pump house staring at the sky as if trying to figure out what those things were hitting him on the head (golf ball size hail).
    I go out there, getting plinked on the head the whole way and got under the overhang with Thor and we had a little talk.
    I don't know if he was tired of running or just missing his hens, but he just stood there and let me pick him up.
    If I'm sick tomorrow, it's all Thor's fault!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I am really frustrated with all roosters, and I totally understand what you went through, now my rooster is really scared from me, because I tought him many lessons and now when he sees me he just go the opposite direction strait to the coop.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I had a rooster that used to escape with his favorite hen. Then one day I came home from working out of town and DW had chicken breasts grilling on the BBQ. It seems the escaping duo ticked off the wrong woman. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh I know if it had been my SO chasing them instead of me, poor Thor's head would have been target practice. [​IMG]

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    giggle giggle.

me,
    g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by