I'm pretty sure Buffy has sour/impacted crop & I have quesitions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Herself, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    After i read up a bit more on impacted crops I think that's what's wrong with my 5 month old Buff Op. I thought an impacted crop meant is was hard, but I guess it can be enlarged & soft. Last night I massaged her crop & held her with her head downwards over the toliet & all kinds of brownish smelly liquid came out. Yikes, what a mess. After that I put her back in the dog crate, removed her food & left onlly water. She is drinking. Today her only poops have been liquid & yellow, and the right side where crop is still feels puffed up.

I looked at more info on what do do about impacted crops. One of my books said to massage & put their head down to bring it up, but on line I read that was dangerous & to try to move it through not up. What I think seems to be the course of action is to add raw ACV with the mother to her water, give no food & after 12 hours try pieces of bread soaked in olive oil & continue with gentle downward massage to crop. One post mentioned giving the first dose of vinegar by syringe by beak. 1/4 teaspoon.

Do you get the raw ACV at health food store or will they have it at Blue Seal? Also do they have syringes there for use with small animals? Or would a small medicine dropper be better?

Do you think this is a good course of treatment? All advise will be appreciated.

Herself
    Mom to Buffy & the girls

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It sounds to me like you have sour crop, as opposed to impacted crop. The treatment for each is somewhat different.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=378303&p=1
    This is the advice i would follow for sour crop, pretty much to the letter. SpeckledHen knows her business.

ACV can be purchased at a health food store, and every once in a while, a grocery store like Krogers, that sells some organic items.

I know that at my feed store, i can buy all sorts of little medicine syringes (without needles) for a few pennies. Your source for animal related items probably sells them too.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So did anyone ever hear how this all played out? pumpkinpeep?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Sorry, i haven't re-read that thread in a while. I just keep in my favorites so i can reference it quickly. As to the sour crop, it seems everything was resolved. I meant to simply be recommending post number 2 from that thread, which is Speckledhen's formula for curing sour crop. The coccidiosis information shouldn't apply to you right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by