I'm pretty sure it's okay but...

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
I have a broody silkie sitting on 6 eggs right now. I live in Oregon which is normally not too cold but this weekend we're supposed to stay below freezing for quite a while. It's not something that I'm entirely used to. I have a 100w bulb out there right now that keeps the water from freezing but my question is do I need to have extra heat for my silkie and the eggs or will she generate enough heat on her own. She's in a little nesting box inside a little converted dog house. There are no drafts or anything like that. I'm just a little concerned and thought that some of you from the colder climates could give me some advice. Thanks

She should be fine !! How cold is it planning on getting ?? You could add a heat lamp (red bulb) to the coop or near her for some extra heat !!

She should be fine. As long as she is in an enclosed nest (which it sounds like she is) she shouldn't need any extra heat to keep the eggs warm. I just last week had a hen hatch 8 of 8 eggs, and the temps had been low 50's tops the whole time, usually low 40's upper 30's. Plus they hatched a day early.

She'll be just fine. I had a hen hide a nest a couple years ago in late December. The temps dropped to well below 0 for several nights. The hen was in a little crack between several hay bales where I couldn't see her. She hatched out 8 chicks from 10 eggs. Since they were so late in the year, and I didn't have a good place for them at the time, I had to have her raise them in an unheated place. She raised every one of them, and the temps didn't get much above 10 or 12 most of the first 2 months of their lives. They would go out quickly, eat and drink for just a few seconds, and dart back under the hen. Turned out to be some very nice chicks by summer.

Quote:
It looks like it's going to be below freezing for 3 days straight. Is it possible to make it to hot for her?

Well, I wouldn't put the heat lamp to close to her. Dont want her to burn herself.

I'd say a few feet above her (give and take a little on how big/small the area is), Put the heat lamp up and then test with your hand how hot it is near her.

They make heat lamp covers with wire around them so if they fall or somthing touches them it wont catch on fire or get burned, still be carful. I got mine at walmart for about $10.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to see what I can rig up.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom