I'm pretty sure my roo has mites...

MikasGirl

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Coos Bay, OR
Okay, so my rooster is being quarantined since we got him a few days ago (that way I KNOW this didn't come from the rest of my flock). His skin was fine, but his pen that he's living in is outside and that is where I suspect these buggers came from. I've never dealt with mites before, and hoped that I never would have too. I was holding him tonight and just out of pure curiosity started flipping through his feathers and checking his skin. Good thing I did, because I saw a few tiny, tiny creepy crawlies on him. They were a reddish brown, so I'm guessing red mites? I have a dusting for mites (Permethrin, just in case this problem ever happened) that I sprinkled sparsely in his overnight cage and a little in his feathers. From what I'd read, that was the right thing to do. So, I'm asking for any help and/or suggestions about how to get rid of these nasty insects. Thank you for any help at all.

You are doing the right thing by dusting him and it wouldn't hurt to dust the rest of your flock also. Also, once is NOT enough. Dust again in 10-14 days and , for good measure, a third time in another 10-14 days.

I totally agree with mmaddie's moms advice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom