1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm pretty sure she's a RIR pullet, but at 6 weeks what the heck is with the size of her comb and wa

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by larissap112, Oct 8, 2015.

1. larissap112

larissap112 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Molly has a comb and wattle almost as large as my 26 week old Buff Orpington.

She IS a she, right? And a Rhode Island Red?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Molly is a Marvin, sorry.

3. BeanHen

BeanHen Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Sorry to say it, but looks like a Roo. Judging by the comb/wattle size, tail shape, and thickness of the legs, there's not much chance that it's a pullet. Sorry! :/

4. larissap112

Jul 21, 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*sobbs sobbs sobbs*

This would be the second time I tried for a RIR pullet and they turned out to be a roo! The first was from TSC, this one I spent big bucks on from My Pet Chicken.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[​IMG]

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop

MPC is charging big bucks for RIRs? They get them from the same hatcheries as the feed stores.

6. larissap112

Jul 21, 2013
    It was the shipping. I can only legally have 4 chickens in my city, so I could only order the minimum of 3 chicks. That was $45 for 3 chicks, vaccinations and overnight shipping.

7. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop

8. larissap112

Jul 21, 2013
    I'm not giving up. Molly's tail feathers look exactly the same as her nest mates, and her body shape does, too. Molly's tail feathers sprouted at the same time, same size, as theirs.

My other RIR roo didn't have this huge comb and wattle, his didn't start coming in until about 8 weeks. And he had NO tail to speak of until then, either.

She just might have a large comb, that's all.

I'm crossing my fingers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Molly is a roo

10. shamrockmommy

shamrockmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    I got mine from MPC too and ended up with with what most people think is a room (Speckled Sussex) but has me confused still, even at 13 weeks LOL. I'm holding out!!

Drat! I would definitely hold out till he crows or you get an egg, but that is a prett darn tall comb for his age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by