I'm proud of my Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdBrained, May 14, 2009.

1. BirdBrained

BirdBrained Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    I know this may seem simple to most,and i'm sure many have seen things simular,but when you get to see it for yourself I guess its different.I was watching my roo as a nice juicy cricket happened into the coop,he proceeds to pick up the cricket (I'm thinking yeah he got him a nice snack) but to my surprise he kills the cricket then calls one of my broody hens off the nest to eat it. Like I said maybe not surprising to some people but I think alot of times i fail to realize just how nurturing chickens can be,I know hens take care of their babies but I was very happy to see my Roo taking care of his hen.

2. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    I think that is so cool...my roo Walter takes good care of his girls...when he finds something juicy, he will call them and stand back as they devour what ever it is like piranna...he is a very good roo and is ever watchful for danger...we have lots of hawks...he gives the alarm and the girls all tear into the coop while Walter stands in the door and guards...roos are funny creatures...good ones who don't stomp people are a treasure...

3. Bleepmunk

Bleepmunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Oh that is so sweet.....My Roo comes up to me for his morning & evening treats and he takes them from my hand and places them on the ground and calls the hens he does this with several treats before he eats one himself.....I love my Big Guy!!

4. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I too have a great rooster. He is a huge fellow, a think an amercauna. I got him first, he was given to me because his home was a KOA and he was getting the campers up at 3:30 am.

He was alone for about a month, then a nice neighbor gave me 3 RIR pullets. It was love at first sight. (think about "Big Love" hah.

Anyway, he immediately started scanning the skies for predators when the girls were eating/scratching. This morning I saw him run off a crow who was in the run scratching around for bugs.

The other day, he gave a signal to the girls, (I don't know what it is, I didn't hear anything,) and quickly they scurried into the hen house. I looked up and saw a huge hawk flying away.

He is really the man about the coop, and he does let the girls have first go at the pan of oatmeal I sometimes take out for a treat.

He is always quite friendly with me, has never offered to "flog" me or be otherwise nasty.

I do LOVE MY ROOSTER.

DonnaBelle in OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by