I'm psychic! My goose is a pervert!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jan 27, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I was concerned last week about the possibility of getting a guck or a doose, although my goose had shown no interest in my ducks beyond just being a wicked bossy-pants.... as of today, a balmy 18 degrees here in VT, he is standing on my grey duck... trying to mush her into the 3 gallon waterer.... I think he is trying to, uh... be inappropriate with her.... how can I make him stop? Is she in any danger of actually being crushed? or hurt? She's a swedish/mallard mix, and he is a white chinese...

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That is normal behavior. If you think the duck is in danger of injury, you can separate him or get him some geese of his own.

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    He needs a sweet patootie!

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

our lone male duck was very aggressive with our chicken hens. After a single season his bill was pecked / scratched up like crazy... and he still never quit. My wife thought some of the hens didn't mind, but I didn't agree. They all seems to try to stay clear of him. We were working to find him a new home when a coon got to him.

5. chickensducks&agoose

my goose was supposed to be a pekin duck... but turned out otherwise... he was raised with ducks... maybe he thinks he's a duck too? do I really have to get another goose? my theory is that 1 goose can only attack from one side (usually the back of the kid's pants), but 2 geese could actually eat one of my toddlers.....

6. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    What breed? Some breeds are very docile.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    chickensducks&agoose :

my goose was supposed to be a pekin duck... but turned out otherwise... he was raised with ducks... maybe he thinks he's a duck too? do I really have to get another goose? my theory is that 1 goose can only attack from one side (usually the back of the kid's pants), but 2 geese could actually eat one of my toddlers.....

Geese are herbivores. They don't eat meat.

I have 7 geese and none nip at me except in play and even then, never enough to hurt. None have been aggressive in the least. If your goose was raised with ducks, he likely thinks he is a duck. However, for his and your ducks' happiness, you might consider a female goose for him. Has he been agressive to you at all?

White chinese are more active than other geese. if you get another, get one sexed and raise her to be people friendly.​

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Your goose is a pervert. He needs some oven therapy. Don't forget the onions, carrots and red pototoes. Roast him elevated; a lot of fat will rend off of him.

Rufus

9. chickensducks&agoose

Rufus! I may as well roast my dog... I love this goose, pervert or no.... He's a chinese goose, and he can't help attacking my kids. He looks at me all guilty, and then pretends he's nibbling the ground, then he strikes! I'm thinking about getting him a lady goose, and just raising her real people-friendly.... I got this goose when he was like 3 months old, and he already had a bit of a mean streak... my 3 year old just looks like lunch to him....

10. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Your 3 year old is prob about his size too! He sees him as an equal! there is a great book called The Domestic Goose by Chris Ashton which goes into depth on goose behavior-good read. Your library might be able to get it inter-library loan for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by