I'm ready to get started!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Desirai, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Okay so... I'm new and totally into chickens. I've been reading the BYC site for a couple months now learning about chickens. I just joined the site and have learned tons more on the forums!!

Literally.. I've spent the past 2 weeks just reading forums, not joking!

I'm ready to get started on my coop. But I don't know where to start.

I've been drawing and sketching and looking at coop pictures on the site. Some of you have gorgeous coops.

I've got the spot picked out. I've got the design more or less in my head.

But I don't have things lying around my house like scrap lumber, special tools, things like that. I'm going to have to buy/borrow tools and probably ask for help because I don't know much about building structures.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to salvage a good bit of the lumber from neighbors and construction sites and craigslist. Some things I'll be buying new to make sure they're clean, safe, and not damaged, etc. [​IMG]

but.. then what!?

Edit: Do you put perches in the run?
    How high up do you place perches?

Run: Would 6ft high, 5ft wide, 10ft long be adequate for 6 chickens?
    Coop: 6ft high (off the ground by 1 to 2 ft) 5ft wide, 5ft long be adequate?

I'll have to scan some of my drawings and show you guys so maybe you can help me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    dig in and get started!!!.....its great fun!!!

3. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    I did a 5 part series on my website about keeping backyard chickens. You can find it in the chicken health section at Tilly's Nest.

Good luck! You are going to LOVE it!!!

Melissa

4. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    The general rule is four square feet per bird inside and ten square feet per bird in the run. Have fun!

5. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Tilly's Nest :

I did a 5 part series on my website about keeping backyard chickens. You can find it in the chicken health section at Tilly's Nest.

Good luck! You are going to LOVE it!!!

Melissa

Now I'm reading your blog!! What happened to #8!?!? Did s/he make it!? [​IMG]

6. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
  7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    looks good other then i put roost along the back not on angle

8. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have some input.... You need to read some more! I've read so many people on here advising against having the roof slope going down to the nestbox side, as it means more chance of leaky nest boxes and you get a good soaking when egg collecting in the rain.

9. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:That makes sense!! I've basically been copying the coops I've seen on the site! that makes sense though. [​IMG]

10. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Good to see you are taking your time and researching the details! Sounds like you have a good plan coming together, remember chicken math...I started with 1 coop and run with 6 chickens and have now added a second larger coop and run with 12 more chickens! It's addictive but so rewarding and entertaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by