1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm really dumb...Medicated food and eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peaches Lee, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have a mama hen in with two chicks that are about 6 weeks old. Mama had just recently started laying eggs again. I have taken said eggs and just this morning made some muffins with them totally oblivious to the fact she has been eating medicated chick starter.

Now I have a pan full of beautiful muffins that I don't know if I can eat. I mean, it should be okay right? It was just one egg in the recipe...

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Read the manufacturer's feed bag or on their website. Purina, by example, says that eggs are just fine to eat.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've read that unless you are allergic to Sulfa drugs, you should be fine eating eggs with medicated starter.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you. I looked at Blue Seal's website but couldn't find anything regarding eating the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by