I'm representing my school in the District Reflections competition!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chiko, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I'm not sure if any of you remember but a few weeks ago I was asking for some ideas and inspiration for a way to express the theme for "Reflections"...The theme was Diversity Means(And if you know me, You know I'm very different and weird and not afraid to be)....And we had to express the theme in some form of art.. We could have entered Visual Arts, 3-D Arts, Musical Composition, Dance,Theater, Literature ect. I entered in the Visual Arts. What my idea was is that Diversity means Individuality & Freedom. I wrote the word "Individuality" on a big piece of paper...I stared at it forever..then got my eraser and started re-doing the letters. I thought it would be cool to make each letter very crazy and different. What I wanted to show with that is that even though they are all very different, together the letters spell out a beautiful word. The way I brought freedom into it, is I put different quotes on Diversity all around the empty spaces representing that being different makes you free from society, that you can be who you want, I also put a big American flag [​IMG] Around the border of the page I painted lots of different flags from different countries. Each flag, I used a different medium to color it in, Then for the background where the word Individuality I did a neutral tone, I used a soft tan-brown and used: Water color, Crayon, Marker, Pastels, and Colored Pencils. It all came together nicely. I entered it at the last minute and today, after weeks and weeks of waiting they called all the participants down to get their awards for participating. They chose one winner from each category to represent the school in the District level competition, I won the Visual Arts!!!! Me and 5 other people are going to the District competition! My stomach sank when the lady called me down to the stage. I was so scared and surprised. I saw the other entries and was sure mine wouldn't have a chance! I talked with the administrators after that and they told me that the technique or quality didn't matter, what matters is the message and how the message was expressed. I was so happy [​IMG] I got a beautiful diploma and we all got Hot Dogs, Root Beer Floats, a Mug with candy and 10 minutes out of 2nd period [​IMG]

Wish me luck everyone!

2. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Congratulations to you and best of luck [​IMG] Sounds like a really cool piece!

3. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Thanks! I would get a picture but the PTA has them all to take them to the District building [​IMG] When I gets it back Ill post a picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    That sounds great! Good Luck at the district competition! [​IMG] (I actually remember the "Reflections" competitions from when I was in elementary school... some 15 years ago. [​IMG])

5. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Thanks!

That's cool. I've entered reflections all the way from 1st grade to now in 9th [​IMG] It's so fun [​IMG]

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by