I'm ruined forever

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by halo, Feb 19, 2012.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So I put these too big Cornish X in the freezer a week or so ago. Skinned them, parted them out, and froze them. Well, Ive never liked dark meat. When I froze these birds, I put 4 quarters to a bag and one whole breast per bag (they are big). So I pulled out some quarters this morning, decided Id bake 3 of them, and boil one up for the puppies to put over their dinner for the next few days. I figured Id make chicken fajitas, and got fajita seasoning. So I baked these quarters, with just a little pepper and garlic powder on them. I let them cool down, and I started de boning the meat, so I could add the fajita seasoning. Of course, while Im deboning, Im tasting...

Holy Chicken Feathers, Batman.....I can not believe how yummy, awesome, tender, and tasty that meat is. Im not even going to add any fajita seasoning, Im going to use it just as it is.

As much as I hate to admit it, as much as I swore to myself after putting that last chicken in my freezer that I wasnt doing any more until fall.....I may have to get some more before summer.

I truly truly cant believe the difference between this chicken and store bought chicken.

Im ruined.

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It's a good ruining though. I'm planning when to do my first batch this year. First batch will be cornish game hens, processed around 5 weeks. I like the personal size chickens for when my husband is out of town.

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    :D Being where you are, you should probably get some soon before the heat, ya know. Then maybe another batch before it gets really hot. Take a month off and do a couple more batches in the fall, maybe one or two in the winter. ;)

Heh....meaties are fun :)

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thats what Im thinking, of getting some more maybe middle of March. It was so nice processing these without flies swarming around. I think by May it will be buggy again. I need to decide pretty quick. I think Schlecht has the best prices right now.

5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    We did our first batch last spring and started with 8 just to try them. We were also hooked! We raised 20 last fall and are down to our last chickens in the freezer. Fortunately, I have 100 more coming next month that I'll split with friends. This time we're going to raise 55 and butcher some as cornish hens, broilers, and roasters.

My last batch came from Central Hatchery in NE. They came to $.99 each with shipping when I ordered 100. I just split the order with friends. They were great birds the last time and the best price I've found.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I looked at Central Hatchery's website, and can't figure out what the price would be for less than 100. Theres also a 50 chick minimum there which is just a LITTLE too much for me to handle. Schlecht is 95 cents each straight run plus shipping.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    At Central the cost is $5.00 more if you order less than 100. $.95 per bird plus shipping is not bad at all - especially if you can order less than 50. :)

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    At Central they said for an additional fee you can have the chicks de-winged and/or de-beaked. I've never heard of de-winging before - does anyone know what that is? If its as barbaric as it sounds, I would not give my business to anyone who is willing to do it. I figure if they bought the equipment to do something like that and will do it for 10c a pop, they're on a different page than I am in terms of animal treatment. Just sayin'.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wondered about that de-winging myself......

10. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I looked it up online and it appears to mean either removing the flight feathers or taking the wings off. There's another thread on here "Dewing what does it mean??" where it's been discussed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by