I'm sad :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jbowyer01, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I had to get rid of three of my chickens yesterday. They were roosters and my neighbors were complaining. I miss them so bad (though they did get a good home). That leaves three little hens and one is in the sick room (dog carrier in my sons bedroom). So I have only twi out in the coop, they look so lost without their little men to watch over them. Now I need to find someone willing to sell me a couple of hens to fill the void. I really missed the crowing this morning [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you under covenant/regs not to have roosters? Do you live in a residential area type neighborhood?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Yes unfortunatley I live in a residential neighborhood. So to help keep the peace I let them go back to where I got them from. I had planned on keeping 1 and with a little luck maybe 2 but I dont get along with the neighbors (I've had to call the cops on them for loud music at 3am and their dogs) so when they complained to the sheriffs dept I agreed to get rid of them. I dont get along with the sheriffs dept either, I know that sounds bad but I grew up here and I now how they work. The neighbors are the type of individuals that would hurt my animals if given the chance (we've fenced off the side of the yard next to them so our animals stay away from them.) We are hoping to find acreage in Ga in the next 6 months, so I'll be able to have all the chickens I can properly take care of. I just really missed the beautiful sound of them crowing.

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Awww........I feel for ya. I can't have roos either and although have safely rehomed any I did hatch, it's a shame. I like their crowing.
    My neighbors are great and we are all friends thank goodness. But once mine crow they gotta go so I can remain neighborly and stay out of trouble.[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd miss mine, too, but luckily, I am in a very rural area. You just need to move out of there!

6. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Thanks all. I know they have a good home, they'll be able to free range on a big farm. I just felt guilty for leaving them. They kept looking at me like moma come back! Uhggg! I'm gonna start looking at land on the web. Thanks Guys

7. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have noisy neighbors also, Barking dogs year round and in the summer the parrots are outside squawking away. I have a rooster that is hardly noticed with all the other noise. I have never called the cops on them and they have not complained about me.
    It helps to get along with your neighbors when you have an illegal roo!
    This is my guy.
    [​IMG]

8. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sad too! I just gave my up roo and his mate, my favorite silkie named Sukie. I know exactly how you feel, the yard seems so empty and quiet, and my last silkie is running around clucking, looking for her friends. [​IMG]

Here is a pick of my babies.

[​IMG]

Red Roo is not quite all feathered out- he is 20 weeks this week, and his head and neck feathers are still in the hard shells.

9. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My roosters werent illegal. I was giving them up to keep the peace and because I dont trust my neighbors. I feel like they would easily hurt/poison or kill them if they had the opprotunity. We've already had run ins with them and their dogs being extremly aggressive through the fence to our animals (thats why we seperated our backyard into two sections so that our dogs, who are small, are unable to get close to thiers) I do miss my roos but I also know they are in good hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by