I'm sad!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So I got chickens AND eggs a week ago. The new Blue Cochin and the Astralorp laid the next day, so I set them too. Hatch date for the 17th. I've hatched LOT's of eggs, and everything is going well.

Buuuut... 1 of my 2 Spitzhauben eggs was clear as clear could be on day 7 candling. Figures one of the ones I wanted to hatch won't! I left it in for day 14 candling... but I already know it'll still be clear. I don't think I could wish a chick into it.

Now watch, the remaining one will be a boy. Or worse yet, all of them since it's a small hatch. I wonder what Spitzhauben would look like crossed onto my flock though... hahaha.

Wonder how it didn't get fertilized.... not like the rooster couldn't get to the hen in that pen, she wouldn't have had anywhere to go! And he only had 3 or 4 girls from what I could tell. Darn!

Not like I could get an exchange, they were free with the chicken purchase since I liked the birds so much but he didn't have any available.

Oh well, 6 out of 7 isn't bad!

Infertile eggs happen from time to time. Maybe the roo doesn't like her. Maybe he wasn't in the mood.
wink.png

Was the person who you acquired the eggs from far from you? If not, perhaps you could arrange to buy a few more. It should be much less expensive than buying them online, because you wouldn't have shipping charges.

Back
Top Bottom