1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm sad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TLWR, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I bought 6 chicks at TSC 2 weeks ago. They couldn't sell less than that. So we got the six and decided we'd rehome 3.
    I placed an ad on CL on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. Nada
    Today I'm out in the veggie garden with the girls to let them run around and explore a bit outside.
    I had decided earlier on which 3 I was keeping. Now I'm not sure. And when I came inside I had an email asking if I still had them.

I have 3 BOs, 2 BRs and 1 bantam cochin which might be buff with some blue color to her/him. They all came from the mixed pullets bin. 2 of the BOs have combs growing quicker than the other 1. I've read that comb growth can be an indicator on sex. There was a bantam in the mixed pullets bin and i know those aren't sexed, so I'd not be surprised if I end up with a roo or two in there.
    But I'm keeping 2 girls (a BO and a BR and the bantam cochin... who better be a girl!)

I have had them for 2 weeks so I'm guessing they are almost 3 weeks. Too early to tell for sure gender?

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    You can post pics and we can guess for you. Honestly since they're little I don't see the harm in holding on to the extras just to be on the safe side :)

3. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The bantam cochin
    [​IMG]

BO 1
    [​IMG]

BO2
    [​IMG]

BO3 - her's is much smaller than the other 2
    [​IMG]

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I hate to say it, but that cochin is a bit red for my tastes. The rest IMO as of right now look female.

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    The bantam cochin looks to be a rooster :( But on the good side, the rest look to be girlies! Good pictures, by the way!

6. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    His comb is more red today.
    Looked at my BRs tonight - one sort of looks reddish, the other not.
    The reddish one was the one I was going to keep :( So roo here too?

[​IMG]

Different view of the same one
    [​IMG]

The other BR

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by