I'm scared for my silkie!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Aug 21, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My little silkie, Jethro, is almost 11 weeks old. My other layer chicks have been roosting since they were just a couple weeks old, up high - about 3 1/2 ft. Since Jethro loves to hang out with this part of the flock while free ranging, he naturally wants to roost with them, but he can't fly up to this particular roost. At roost time, he'll run back and forth looking up at the other chicks until it gets too dark for him to see them, then he settles for a lower roost or the top of the waterer for the night.
    Tonight he was really determined to get up with the other chicks and tried climbing his way up to them by using a piece of plastic fencing that is attached to the bottom of the roost. He failed.
    Feeling sorry for him, I picked him up and put him on the roost with his buddies, but I'm worried.
    In the morning, will Jethro be able to fly (or fall with style) down from a 3 1/2 ft. high roost or will he injure himself?
    Oh and Jethro is almost certainly a she, not a he, as if that matters.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have obviously much less chicken experience than you- I cringe to even try to respond, but:

I do have silkies. My oldest ones are a little more than two months old. I have never seen them 3 1/2 feet in the air, jumping or flying up. If it were me, I would put some kind of little ramp or step for her, and hoped she used it. I would worry about her feet.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks for the response.
    I had thought about a ramp or step, but it would be impossible to do in our current set-up. When they move to their permanent coop, we intend to rig something up.
    In the meantime, the night passed with Jethro looking very pleased with herself for being up there with the big girls. First thing I did this morning was check on her, to make sure she wasn't having any foot or leg problems. She's just fine.
    My other chicks and my big birds I don't worry about. This isn't my first rodeo. It's the silkies that are my constant source of worry.

4. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I had one chick smaller than the rest and she could not get up with the others, I had to put her up there for about 4 nights...she always jumped down sucessfully. I worried about it too, but down is easier than up. the chick ought to grow fast enough to catch up real soon

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You're scared FOR your silkie?

I'm scared OF your silkie [​IMG]

Just rig a temporary fix somehow. I know you're resourceful!

6. silkydragon

silkydragon Songster

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    my silkies can get up to my roost no problem they kinda fall off in the mornings its funny if i go down early and feed them they all fall off at the same time

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'mma gonna send you some silkie eggs to hatch and tell you that they are brahma eggs (yeah right, like that would fly). [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:So it's like I said, they fall with style? [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I'mma gonna send you some silkie eggs to hatch and tell you that they are brahma eggs (yeah right, like that would fly). [​IMG]

AAAAACKKKK! [​IMG]

Oh wait- do they dust as well as the Swiffer duster?

10. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA

AAAAACKKKK! [​IMG]

Oh wait- do they dust as well as the Swiffer duster?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by