I'm Scared! Pip but no hatch!

detroit313

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Metro Detroit
In my foam bator I have 3 RIR Bantam eggs. I put them in on different days. The first one is due on Monday. Last night the chick piped a whole. I left it alone, and now its been 12 hours and nothing more!! Is the chick dead?? The pip is now a dark color and no longer looks bloody. Anybody please.

If i dont get a response Im going to candle and see if it moves and maybe crack it open.

there has been no chirping

I wouldnt open the bator. I have had eggs pip that took nearly 24 hours to hatch. Plus, you might jeopardize the others in your bator by allowing all the humidity to escape. Just sit tight and let "mother nature" take her course. I know its hard.

I wish I had an answer for you,
hugs.gif

My first pip took 12/13 hours from first pip to start of zip. Sounds silly but I talked to the pip thru the bator - beeping and cheeping at it and it seems to encourage them.

Hang in there- I've had some that pipped, and it took almost a day before they started zipping. Had others that took 15 minutes to zip and hatch, others took 24 hours. They will come out when they are ready.

UPDATE:

Well just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their support. But after 24 hours and not a drop of patience left in me. I decide that after not hearing a single chirp and absolutely no movement in the egg, I went ahead and performed and eggsection. The chick was fully formed, but not alive.

What went wrong??

I will not that the air sac was rather large the last time I candeled, which was on day 17. The humidity was at 75%. For me the pip was very close to the center. This was the first time that I hatch eggs using an incubator. I usually let mommy do her job and the zipping was closer to the top of the egg than this time. I hope I expressed myself correctly.

I dont want to make the same mistakes again so, can anyone enlighten me if I did something wrong.

So sorry. I had one do that with my last hatch. Upon exam it was a perfectly formed chick. The only thing I noticed was that it was a very large chick and the air space was small.

Don't give up. It happens to everyone and broody hens as well. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Let us know when you try again!

Here's a video from this year that spans 3 days...We had an egg that wiggled on command and chirped for days then stopped without pipping, it was the sole survivor in a batch so extra effort was warranted...The video shows the adventure that followed...

WARNING: I use some wording that may not be suitable for all ears at the 6:45 mark...A variation of poo...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom