I'm scared....what do I do with the packing peanuts (roosters)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thomas423, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Ok, I'm scared now....My little ones arrive next week and I'm afraid that some of the pullets I ordered might be roos.......also, since it is a small order there might be packing peanuts of the male sex. I only want females as egg layers and pets. Don't want any roosters. Also, I promised DH that I would only raise hens....no roos.

So, what do we do with the roosters?? At what age can we start to tell the difference? Don't really think I could eat them but wouldn't care if anyone else does. Are they hard to get rid of? DH will not be happy if we end up with lots of roosters. He's already said not even one and that suits me just fine.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    post the roosters (once you figure out whos who) on craigslist, people snatch em right up, especially if they are FREE lol

3. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    You're in Port Deposit? You'll have NO problems getting rid of the roosters.

Post them on this board, post them on the Eastern Shore Craigslist, or post them on the Cecil County Chickens Yahoo group. They'll be gone in a flash, especially if, as the prior poster said, you're giving them away. There are a ton of farmers around here who will happily take them off your hands and grow them out for family dinner.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    When I ordered from Ideal I had no difficulty telling which ones were the packing peanuts because they were all the same color and different from what I ordered. Maybe you will also be as lucky. What type of chicks did you order?

5. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Ok great! I (and DH) feel much better and am (again) looking forward to the chicks arriving. Cecil County Yahoo Chicken Group....hummmm. I guess that I need to join. [​IMG]

I ordered 3 Barred Rocks, 3 White Rocks, 3 New Hampshire Reds and 3 Buff Orpingtons.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:well when they are about 6 weeks old send them to me I will eat them and thank you for that .

Omran

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Did you order from Ideal? If so, you can call them and tell them to mark any packing peanuts, so you'll be able to tell them apart right away.
    I didn't get packing peanuts, but I asked for and got my roosters marked. As of last spring, Ideal didn't charge for this service. Other hatcheries may offer the same thing, but I'm not sure.

Also - again from Ideal. If you don't want packing peanuts, you can ask that they not be included. You'll have to pay a small amount is shipping insurance instead. I would only do this if you're sure the weather is going to be suitable for a smaller amount of chicks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by