Im scared!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Songster

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    I have 4 different types of chickens Black stars, red stars, Easter eggers, RIR! I have tried to hatch 3 batches and lost one batch, one batch wasnt fertile and the other one jus never hatched! I also am worried about mixin the breeds. I have heard some bad things about mixin breeds with the red stars and black stars!Im scared to try it again![​IMG] Please give me some info!!

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Don't be askeeeeered .. [​IMG]

They are all just chickens.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    But they my babies!!! i really want to hatch but dont know about mixin the breeds

4. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Black Stars, Red Stars and EE's are already mixed breeds. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

5. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    Thanks! How do I know that my roo is breeding them? and that my eggs will be fertile! I nvr seem him doing it!

6. RL

RL Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I have some mixed breeds that hatched out this past April. The Roo was a Sliver laced Wyandott and the Hens were Barred Rock, White Bantam Cochin, Golden Sex-Link and Light Braham. They are doing just fine. healthy, happy chickens. Here is a pick of of some of them. I think they were a few months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of some chicks that hatched out the end of March. They are from my Light Brahma Roo and the above listed hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would say go for it. You never know what you are going to end up with.

7. chuck12

chuck12 Songster

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    wow.. the mixed chickens are pretty too.
    I cannot wait to see what my mystery barnyard mixed bantams I am hatching turn out to look like.

8. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    ok well i think i am going to start my batch soon but i need to know how my batch is fertile!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

do you let the hens sit or you using a bator? I let the hens sit they do a wonderful job

10. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:You'll need to watch and see if he is bragging to his friends. LOL!! Just kidding. You'll will want to wait until your roo is 18-20 weeks old. Obviously your hen will need to be laying, but some wait until they've been laying 2-3 months. If the egg is fertile, inspect the yolk and the white mark will be nearly perfectly round. Some refer to this as a bullseye. If it is infertile, the white mark will not be very round, and in most cases, smaller than that of the fertile mark. If the egg is not fertile, the 'white mark' is called a "blastodisc". If the egg is fertile, the 'white mark' it is called a "blastoderm", and this means that cell division,because of fertilization, occurred.

Hope his helps and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by