1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm Shocked By Pine Shaving Cost!! Or Am I Just "Cheep"?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jayers, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    I need to boost up my bedding in the coop, but was shocked by the price for the pine shavings. (I have been using free leftover hardwood shavings, now that suppy has run out). I guess I've been spoiled!

What are you paying for your pine shavings and where are you getting it?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I was paying 8 bucks for 2 compressed cubic feet, but now that where I am staying is a bit more rural (300 miles from home), bring back 4 cubic feet compressed for 8 bucks each.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i get from Tractor Supply for a little less than $6. I couldnt believe when I was at Petco the other day to see them for $15. Even Walmart is about $7.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Mine only cost $4 each and one fill my whole coop

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I get them at the local feed store, $6 for a compressed bale. That's not too bad if you are bedding animals in hutches or a few birds in a small coop. If you trying to fill stalls or a large coop with it, it's a bit pricey...

6. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    We pay between $4.99-$5.99 per bag and we usually get about 9-10 bagswhen we change over the coop.
    Our local co-op, TSC and other farm store are all about the same once you factor in the gas prices to go get it. The more expensive stuff is closer to home, of course.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I feel much better about it when I think about the cost of comparable chicken compost / litter at Home Depot. I figure if I take the shavings / poo litter from my chickens and compost it I get all my money back from the cost of the shavings relative to the cost of a bag of chicken compost.

Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. [​IMG]

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:The ones I was talking about are the Suncoast large flakes in 12 cu ft bales for $6. It is enough to lay down a few inches in my 8' x 8' coop.

9. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    4.80 a bale/bag some times on sale for 4.25 bought a pallet last time on sale i need three each for my large box stalls, one for the standing stall with the pony and i think i have four or five in the coop.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I need to find these large bales people talk about... I thought the 4 cubic feet ones were large when I found them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by