I'm sick and tired of the "bully" stereotype

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Miss Red, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I've had this puppy off and on since I rescued him in January. When I got him he was a mangy, wormy, half dead dog. He had no hair, except for a blue patch on his back. We named him Blue, and his litter mate Queenie. They were found on the side of the road when they were barely four weeks old. I was out riding and wa cantering along, when Mama and pups crossed in front of me. One of the pups was crushed and Mama was badly injured, they didn't survive long enough to get to the vet. The other two were givin a week, and he offered to put them down for 5 dollars a piece. I said no, I'm going to give them a chance.

That was eight months ago. Now Queenie and Blue weigh 60 lbs each, and had settled in to their new homes. Blues new Mama had a baby and felt he wasn't getting enough attention so she begged me to take him back, I gladly did. These dogs are no less than pure bully, maybe some staffordshire in them somewhere. Mama was black, daddy has been seen on that trail off and on but I've never caught him. They're true red brindles, and gorgeous dogs. BUT. They're bulldogs. Everywhere I go someone tells me I should get rid of that dog, he's a bull dog he will eat you. He's a bull dog he will kill your other dogs. He's a bull dog, hell kill this that or the other. Neither Blue nor Queenie have a mean bone in their body. In fact, the home Queenies in has 5 kids under 7. She allows them to rawl all over her and beat her up. But she's mean, you know. Especially when she licks them in the face that must mean she's tasting them for later.

don't get me started on Blue. He's so mean, he let the chickens crawl over and peck him in the eyes. I mean MAN... He's such a man killer. This morning my Grandpa came to visit and he hasn't seen Blue in ages. First thing out of his mouth, before hello and how are you was "Get rid of that dog Katie. He's a bull dog. He'll kill ya." Uhm, no. That's a stereotpe. I've had three pits in my life, rescued from shelters and bad situations. NONE and I mean NONE of them ever went bad. But every time that's what he said when he walked in... I'm tired of it. It is very upsetting to hear people constantly talking like you are an idiot about YOUR dog.

if he turns on me, guess what... He will be put down. But Blue, who doesn't even bark at strangers (in fact he does the full body wag) is definitely a killer.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

And all XXXX are YYYY -

where XXXX is a description of the human
    where YYYY is a common stereotype...

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Careful with chickens - they might peck you! [​IMG]

[​IMG] for you and your bullies!

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I sort of have the same problem with my Dobermans...they scare the mud out of most people...three sleep on the bed with me and I guess I will wake up killed and eaten one day...I like Bulldogs...I have owned two over the years...wonderful dogs...yeah for you and yours!!!

[​IMG]

5. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I totally understand. I worked in an animal hospital for about 3 years. Some of the nicest dogs I ever meet were pit bulls and dobermans. Some of the meanest and most awful were labs, heelers and a mini schnauzer. These dogs get a bad rep from bad owners that want them to be mean dogs. It isn't fair. Some day I will own one when my kids are bigger and I have more time to spend with a dog. Good for you for helping these little puppies and giving them a chance. Some people are just ignorant and judge a book by its cover.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  6. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    those pesky chickens, going around pecking eyes out..

and thanks... I just don't get why they think my dog is a killer JUST because he's a bulldog. And a big one at that.

7. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Quote:I guess I will wake up one day eaten and killed too.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm sorry to say that I do buy into the stereotype a bit [​IMG] I know the media has a lot to do with it, and dog OWNERS have TONS to do with it, but besides the nasty owners out there, it does make the news when a "family pet" (who is a pit...that and the wolf hybrids are big in the news) lays into a small child. Now I'm sure just as many wiener dogs (and other small, yappy dogs) go after kids who are annoying them too, but the damage is minimal in comparison, and so isn't news worthy.

So although I know a few pits who are pretty much as you described Blue, and realize that the majority of them are most likely that way, in the back of my head I think "but I would never own one." I'm simply too paranoid, despite the fact that I KNOW where my bias comes from. I'll make over one that I run into in the pet store or being walked, but I could never own one. Of course I could never own a little yappy dog either; I've had several little dogs make really bad impressions on me...never met a pit (in person) who did.

I would never tell anyone that, based solely on breed, they should not own a certain dog. When I see a happy tail, a doggie "smile" and a wiggly body on ANY dog, I want to make over it. [​IMG]

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Your nurturing has been far more important that their "nature." My dog, "Pygma", was 8 weeks old and dumped at the horse auction 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pygma, December/January, 2009-2010
    It was brutually cold and I witnessed something I'd never seen--everybody had left and NONE of the puppies had been taken. I knew that I had room for one more dog, so I took her home. (She says, that I "picked her from the Pyg pile.") My Vet, who tended to her the following Monday, said that she has GS in her. The person I spoke to (supposedly, friend of the mother's owner), said that the mother was a Lab, and the other 1/4 is suspiciously Pitbull.
    Yes, she is shy of strangers, and is a wonderful watchdog. Hang around for a few hours, and she will push your arm up to pet her. She is a total velcro-dog, and demands constant loving and attention.

It takes a commitment to make that on-the-spot decision to take in an unwanted animal and care for their needs. Good for you!! [​IMG]
    BTW, here is her "Sister", "Rose", 6 months older, who ALSO has 1/4 GS.
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    they're both beautiful dogs.

On that same note, my vet LOVES Blue. He enjoys when we come in because he never thought he would make it and now Blue is this 60 pound machine. My 35 pind heeler, not so much. She's not allowed in the vets office without her mizzle because she is rather people aggressive in certain situations. I'm more worried about her biting or attacking someone than Blue, and she's kept on a close watch. Muzzled in public, short lead, and very very well trained. She's only bit three people (vet during shots, guy at the feed store for loading feed while I wasn't near the truck, and a guy who was trying to rob me) but it's precautions you have to take with her. Blue? I think you could attack me and beat me to death and he would still want you to pet him and love him. He's the bulldog, I will post pictures of just how "mean" he is shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he's vis-kus (vicious) isn't he?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by