I'm sick of the coons!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KansasKid, Jun 11, 2011.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    i have lost, 6 broilers, 2 mutt roosters, a mallard drake, and my hen button quail all some stupid coons!! I have set foot hold traps up and caught 1.3 of them i say this because i have caught one and then caught another one that chewed of its own foot. i caught these two by hanging food (chicken legs, ham, etc.) above the traps. Lately i haven't caught anything, and so i need some ideas on how to get rid of them.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You won't be able to get rid of all of them and even if you did some other predator would fill the void. You need to focus your energy on building as predator proof an area for them as possible. How are they getting to them?

3. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    I'm sick of foxes! We can't shot them in our yard, haven't found a trap that works yet either... I think this weekends project is a perimeter double fence with a 'buffer zone'. We'll see if it works. So much for free range poultry I guess...
    [​IMG]

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I caught a lot of coons using live traps until all of the dumber one were caught. I went through a period of finding the trap untripped and the bait gone. I have since started using Duke dog proof coon traps and that ended the bait stealing.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Yeah, I gave up on free range also and built a large Chicken Run that is also attached to my Garden (shares a fence) and let the chickens into the garden in the fall to glean. The Run itself has two mature Illinois everbearing mulberry trees, plus apples and persimmons to extend the free food season. The Run is slowly becoming a miniature forest ecosystem as intended. I still have some persistent predators, but keep the trap going 24/7/365.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sonally

sonally Out Of The Brooder

Quote:OMG! If you can't shoot them.... i assume you are in a suburb.... can you call animal control? My chicks are not outside yet.... but we have seen coons, fishercats, skunks, hawks and fox (not to mention moose and bear! ) in our suburban neighborhood.. We want to free range when I am home.... our coop-run plans.... Win Powerball and buy enough Hardware cloth to cover the acre yard!!! Dang, that stuff is putting us way over budget!!!! ~Ally
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-k-s-chikin-channel

7. sonally

sonally Out Of The Brooder

Husband just read these posts.... he says "electrify!" Our coop/run is small so prolly not as expensive as it would be for some. Zap those buggers![​IMG][​IMG] ~Ally

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Fry em! The deserve the death penalty after that

9. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:OMG! If you can't shoot them.... i assume you are in a suburb.... can you call animal control? My chicks are not outside yet.... but we have seen coons, fishercats, skunks, hawks and fox (not to mention moose and bear! ) in our suburban neighborhood.. We want to free range when I am home.... our coop-run plans.... Win Powerball and buy enough Hardware cloth to cover the acre yard!!! Dang, that stuff is putting us way over budget!!!! ~Ally
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-k-s-chikin-channel

Haha - Powerball would be nice - Oh the chicken run I would have then!!! We are out of the city limits but not by much and I am scared I'll hit the neighbors house or worse one of my chickens aiming at the stupid fox... And animal control will not step in b/c they are predators not an endangered or protected speices. I asked yesterday! Also I have lovely stupid neighbors that feed the fox kits. (14 they bragged this year!). Not making my job any easier...

10. justsomeguync

justsomeguync Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    Has anybody tried the Nite Guard lights?

http://www.niteguard.com/

I have fox, raccoons, bears, etc, around here, so I ordered one and stuck it right next to the pop door. The rest of the coop is pretty well secured, but anything motivated could get into the run. I lost two hens last year, during the day while free ranging, but I have not lost any others, none from the coop at night. Due to heat, and lack of problems, I leave the pop door open during the summer.

My niece is loosing a lot of chickens, I ordered her one the other day, I hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by