1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm SKEERED DE anxiety.. (dh says its in my head)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I just sprinkled DE in my coop (yes food grade had pics of cows on bag and said something about additive for live stock feed)

Anyway last year I use a product called Dri-Kill to get rid of parasites lice and mites on some chickens I bought at an auction... well a few days later i was coughing up a lung, fever, chills.. the whole 9 yards. went to the hospital and they wanted to admit me for double pneumonia. I argued with doc and got my way so I came home with some wonderful pills and am all better

FF>> to today.. i used the DE and now I am worried about getting pneumonia again. Can DE cause lung issues like pneumonia? I never want to go through that again

eta: I see this thread and this is how I read the title the DE TEST anyone sick?... (i need help) LOL...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280700

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Did you inhale it? When you do it, you should put on some kind of mask type thingie...

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I have no masks left at home my box was empty.. I just did not breathe..lol i sprinkled and walked out let the air clear and back in i went... [​IMG] i knew i should have waited till after my vacation

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Dar honey that's DETEST not DE TEST....ur just paranoid aren't ya [​IMG] However.....We used DE too, about 3 weeks ago, so u may be onto something...mwaahahahaha...JK!!! Glad ur better!!!

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Just use a mask and you'll be fine....[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:yes I am paranoid... i hate being sick... and thanks...

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:Any fine particle dust like DE can cause lung problems. With the history you gave, it would be wise not to dust until you have access to a mask, or use a handkercheif tied across your nose and mouth. You don't want to take any chances.

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I cant imagine getting double pnuemonia in just a few days... I would say that you had it starting and just got the symptoms then...

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I was not feeling ill at all before dusting with the dri-kill and then a few days later i started coughing and it got worse and I waited about 6 days after the initial symptoms before seeking medical attention because i hate it when people run to the dr for a sniffle, but when my lips were blue and nail beds were blue DH gave me a choice... go to the ER or he calls an ambulance... then i got to the er the nurse put the o2 censor on my finger and she said she was surprised i was still conscious
    and alert because my sats were so low

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    And your going on vacation in a few days too.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by