1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so angry right now.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by allanimals21, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Ok this may not be the spot for this but I wanna vent cuz apparently no one around my place seems to think about it like I do. I was just told that I had some guineas hit on the road. Now this does happen...It happens along with predators when I free range them. They seem so unhappy cooped up so I free range. Anyhow I have had them hit before but not like this. Never once has there been more than one. There were 3. One being a chick from this spring so a lil guy. Anyways the angering part of this is there is no way this person tried not to hit them. With as spread out as they were and where they were laying this person didn't tryin and miss them. Its not like my guineas just run out in the road either. They come out slowly so you know they are there. Not saying that its right they are in the road. I'm just sayin you gotta be a sick person to not even try and miss them. I'm so angry.....[​IMG] I really really hope whoever it was stops to say something cuz I am gonna snap! There were two in the road and then one down in the yard....unbelievable. I hate people most days because of stuff like this. We have had tracks come down in the ditch to hit cats out here too....I makes be wanna beat the #*$% out of people like that. GRRRRR....I hope this post isn't out of line or anything...I just needed to vent. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I watched a driver on our street hit a feral chicken a couple of weeks ago. She hardly slowed down. Made me upset too.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. You would think people would try really hard to avoid birds. Some, I think, think that they will simply fly away once they get close enough. Not so with Guineas, they do not know to take off because they do not see an automobile as a predator.

4. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    I feel your anger. Seriously, what is wrong with people nowadays?

A few years ago my (first) dog (had her for 11 years) was hit by a car. She was out front with my parents, near the road...they were working on some landscaping there and something must of have spooked her because she wandered out to the shoulder of the road. Some guy was driving by, wasn't paying attention and drifted over the line of the road's shoulder and clipped my dog. She being a small breed, was luckily killed instantly but that impact twisted her around and snapped most of the bones in her body before throwing her up into the air and into the ditch. Sure, she shouldn't have been that close to the road, sure we should have been paying more attention to where she was, but still.... He just drove on as if nothing happened...

I've also heard some "really cool guys" trying to show off how manly they are and talking about how they hit this and that animal driving... One bragged about how they hit a family of geese crossing the road, killed one parent and most of the goslings... Honestly, people like that just appall me. How can someone be so heartless and stupid? There must be something mentally wrong with them....

Everyone makes mistakes. I've hit small animals before, but not on purpose, I always do the best I can to try to avoid them. Sure, your guineas shouldn't have been there, but still... As you said, I find if hard to believe that someone would hit all of them, by accident, if they were all spread out like that... [​IMG]

I'm sorry for your loss.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Yea - some people's kids...I swear there's something about people who intentionally hit animals...no respect for life.
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] It's just so mindless. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    One thing that annoys me about people like this that may hit an animal with their car and brag about or not even flinch is a lot of times they are the same people that say things like, everyone wants to save animals but who is saving the children? I never understand how people draw this line. Can't we give all life the same respect? Why is it okay to dislike animals but not okay to dislike people? It's kind of like these people think if it isn't human, it's nothing. And I am sure most people do care for children seeing as how most of the people in these world have children and it is the nature of humanity, or any animal, to care for it's offspring or the offspring of it's own species.

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    This summer we were driving home and stopped for a family of turkeys crossing the road and a man coming from the other direction EVEN SEEING US STOPPED FOR THEM!, doesn't slow down SPEEDS UP! and DRIVES RIGHT THROUGH THEM! I see this big huge !@#$!@# grin on his face like it was the funniest thing he had ever seen! I jumped out of the car and scooped up a dying flopping baby turkey and held him so he wouldn't hurt himself until he died in my arms, blood all over my shirt...I was so mad I was crying. I don't know if he hit any others they were all in the woods. Sorry about your guineas some people are just heartless. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    On the other hand, I have had friends swerve off a road to avoid hitting an animal, and have a serious accident. Unless you are going very slowly, and can stop, with not having traffic behind you, it is NOT a good idea to swerve to avoid animals. How would you feel if someone served to avoid them and hit a tree or another driver? If you are going to let your animals roam on a road, they will get killed. It is not the drivers fault.

I will never understand how people can turn their animals loose and express dismay that they get run over and killed.

And, one more thing....I have never EVER seen guineas run at any less than top speed. Letting them dash across a road in front of a driver is nothing more than careless and irresponsible.

9. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    i understand the anger and everyone hates to lose an animal to a car but before we all pass judgment on the person who hit them, lets give them the benefit of the doubt that it could have been the birds or them. i brake for all animals if i can but i have been in the situation before where i could have spared the critter's life but it would have been at the cost of the car full of people in the other lane. i felt bad for the critter, but it was the critter or a head on accident and in that situation, i'm not swerving into another car...

10. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    halo, you beat me to it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by