Im so ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hunter1hall, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    The neighbors dog struck again.....for the third time in two months! I could have pulled the trigger......oh i wanted to dearly.....been waiting for the opportunity. Unfortunately, before i could do so, i look over and see the dog owners two children coming to retrieve the dog. As mad as I was i couldnt shoot the dog in front of the kids. Fortunately the dog didnt manage to catch any chickens or turkeys. However, he sent my favorite Tom flying over the road and over the horizon into a big wooded area.[​IMG] So I contacted the sheriffs department, they logged a complaint, they instructed me to shoot it next time, and suggested the next time I have any losses caused by their dogs, to take them to small claims court. So I wrote a much stearner letter than what was necessary( I was still very MAD) and explained everything that could potentially happen next time this occurs. I placed it in an envelope and put it in their mailbox. They have cost me well over $100 in losses in the last two months! Not one time have they bothered to call or stop by and say they were sorry or offer to compensate the damages. Well the gloves are off now! Dont mess with my flock!

Sorry, i had to vent..........[​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:At least no one was harmed...breath in....breath out...

Just a heads up, since it appears things are going to get heated between you and your neighbor...

Do NOT put anything IN their mailbox. It is a federal offense. Put it in thier door, outside the mailbox or mail it to them. NOT inside the mail box.

You dont want to give them any ammunition when things get ugly.

Aim true and watch your background.

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:At least no one was harmed...breath in....breath out...

Just a heads up, since it appears things are going to get heated between you and your neighbor...

Do NOT put anything IN their mailbox. It is a federal offense. Put it in their door, outside the mailbox or mail it to them. NOT inside the mail box.

You dont want to give them any ammunition when things get ugly.

Aim true and watch your background.

Better yet, mail it to them certified with a reply card. Then you have proof that you attempted to communicate with them. But also keep a copy of what you wrote and keep your words clean and civil, because you must always assume that whatever you say will be read by a judge in court.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Had the same problem with my neighbor's dog. It was over 5 times in less than a year, and managed to kill more than a dozen chickens. Talking to the neighbor got me nowhere; she'd still let the dog run around loose. She even said, "If you have to shoot her, shoot her."

The 5th attack was the final straw. I shot the dog and then called the owner to tell her she owned one less animal.

You hate to kill a dog, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

PS: When you call the police here, they tell you to shoot any dog that's after your livestock. We're in a rural community, with no dog catcher, no pound, no animal control. And all the shelters are full.

5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I gotta repeat -- especially for a repeat attack problem like KHayward had -- send a certified letter through the US Mail, with a reply card. Send one after the second and third attacks, keep the cards, and then take them to small claims court. Even if you wind up shooting the dog per your local law enforcement authorities, you have covered your rear end, and you can get money out of them.

Also, for some reason, a certified letter seems to get their attention more effectively than just talking to them, or even just shooting the dog. They care more about winding up in court than they do about their dog, which burns my cookies quicker than anything, because even a chicken killing dog doesn't deserve that kind of owner, and no one deserves that kind of neighbor.

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    Quote:I agree

7. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Do NOT put anything IN their mailbox. It is a federal offense.

I learned that a few years ago when I left a note for my neighbor in their mailbox. Promply got a call to come see the Postmaster who gave me a tongue lashing.

Send a certified letter, and take them to court for damages...to property and for loss of chickens, and eggs from same. That worked for me.​

8. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    I have had two different neighbors dog issues. One I had to follow up with a personal visit and a pretyped letter saying I would shoot the dogs no exceptions next time on my property. He penned them until they died. It was sad but better than the losses and damage. the other guy worked on it with just a visit. One dog chained and one killed by owner. He seems to have it under control.
    In short I wont let a stray animal on my farm without trying to shoot it. However if I can offer deplomacy it can work and keep me in good working relationship with at least some. One neighbor talks to me one will not. But then I dont want to talk to him.
    So I am in support with the letter you wrote. If the people are smart they will contain their dogs. If not you will shoot and sue them for the damages. Keep on documenting every thing. and good luck.
    I am of course sorry for your losses, no 100$ bill will pay for you the loss of your pet/livestock but you have taken the right steps to correcting the problem. Lets hope it goes no further.
    Mike

9. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have had similar issues with neighbor dogs and took a slightly different approach. I purchased a target rifle that shoot pellets. It has enough muzzle velocity to be accurate and deliver enough of a sting that ALL the neighbor dogs give my property a WIDE birth.

I took this course because I love animals and the dogs are only doing what comes natural to them. I also didn't want to live in a hostile neighborhood. Plus my dogs (except one) run free. I couldn't expect the neighbors to tie their dogs while mine run free.

Now if a neighbor dog sees me, all I have to do is point anything in their direction, a broom, rake or a stick, and they turn tail. I'm sure I will have to reinforce the no trespassing enforcement at some time, but it has been more than a year since I have had to shoot a dog.

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I have to say, it took alot of maturity and divine intervention not to shoot that dog! Thankfully you realized there were kids coming. That would be a horrible memory for them. I hope their parents realize how close they came to witnessing that! What jerks

I think next time you should do what you have to do! I mean you have the right to protect your flock. Sorry this has happened to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by