I'm so bummed. I broke a egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fried green eggs, Mar 13, 2012.

1. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I had stored some of our ee eggs for 5 days before putting in new homemade bator. I was trying to see into the oldest egg with my homemade candler and I dropped the first egg. [​IMG] It cracked / smashed one end so bad, I broke it into a dish to see if it was even fertile - And it was fertile. I could even see the heart beating. I took a video but, my camera won't let me transfer the thing. Here is a picture of how far along it was [​IMG]

I guess I should look at the good side of this - I now know that storing eggs for 5 days in my basement and just rotating the eggs once a day works, homemade bator is working fine and so does our rooster ! Atleast, I still have 8 more ee eggs in bator.

But How do you see in ee eggs????[​IMG]

2. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    awww, that's too bad :( Best of luck for the rest of your eggs!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Well, on the bright side, you know everything is working. And it's awesome to see the development like that. On the other hand, I would feel bad, too. When I was in 1st grade (a LONG time ago....) our class hatched out chicks. We had a big incubator that looked just like a glassed-in box. The teacher broke open one egg a week so we could see the developing chick, and I remember feeling so bad watching that little developing chick struggle and die the 2nd and 3rd weeks... It was interesting, but it bothers me to this day.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    When I first started incubating eggs, I candled one and it looked like a blood ring to me. So I opened it up, and of course (just my luck), it was a little chick. I know how you feel....

5. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    oh that would disturb me till the day i would die! i can understand wanting to teach kids, but this just seems too much for me! i could never do such a thing. wow...i feel bad even now just hearing this story. [​IMG]
    fried green eggs....how far along was that chick? i feel for you...but it was an accident. could happen to anyone u know. [​IMG]

6. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks to everyone for trying to help me feel better about this poor little egg.
    To answer the question: The egg I broke had been stored in cool basement for 5 days before I put the eggs in bator. Today was just day 7. I was so surprised to see it looked so far along. I never had any science teachers that showed development of a chick so, I guess I am lucky. I just hope I never break a fertile egg again after it has started to develop.[​IMG]

7. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better!!

8. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I thought I might as well share it for others since, I couldn't do anything to save this one. I'm really glad I didn't have your science teacher - I faked illness to get out of dissecting a pickled frog. [​IMG]

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i'm really happy that you shared it with us (not happy it happened to you though). but thats why i asked how far the egg was. it IS interesting. my eggs are on day 13. it's actually a great thing to do if this does happen to anyone, is to at least share it. so thank you. [​IMG]

10. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I was really upset when it happened and I didn't even realize how much it looked like a chick until I took the picture. Initially all I could make out was the eye. The blood vessels just scrambled at first but then they seemed to regroup after they had been in the bowl for a minute and then the heart beat was easy to see. By 2 minutes it stopped beating. The heart was just that tiny dark red spot just above the bright white arrow (made by camera flash) and just below what looks like a wing? It really is amazing how fast they develop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by