I'm so bummed...temp spike during the night...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Day 6...

I got up at 3:00 am and checked...temp 99.2...humidity 51%...perfect

Got up at 6:45 am...temp on 2 digital's 105...temp on 2 bulb thermometer...102 - 104. Yes, I have 4 thermometers and 2 hygrometers in it!

It's a Miss Prissy bator with a dimmer. I had waaay too wild of temp swings with thermostat. Bator is in my home office, away from window with house a/c set at 77 all the time. I can't figure out why the spike.

Only DH and I at home now...no one messed with it. AAAGGGHHH!!

I don't really know what to do. I see embryo movement in a lot of the eggs with a quick candling. Any suggestions??

2. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    I wish you we're using a "bought" incubator. I would able to tell you to run out and get a new one because the thermostat went out. The same situation happened to me 2 nights ago. [​IMG] it was the night of Day 18 and it spiked up to 105 and I have no idea how long it was like that [​IMG] I guess you could open the lid for a few mins, get the heat down and maybe add another vent hole to try and stabalize the heat?? Someone else with more knowledge [​IMG] will be able to help you. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Thanks for your reply. I have 8 vent holes at the bottom of the bator and 4 of them were open. When I found it, I left the lid up for a couple of minutes until the heat was well dissipated before closing. I know the eggs will hold the temp for a little while so I let it go down to about 93 before I closed it. My DH is home and has been great about watching it during the day for me. I guess I'm going to have to set my clock for every 2 hours during the night until I can figure out what the heck the problem is....[​IMG] [​IMG] : [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by