I'M SO BUMMED!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natalie1136, Jan 14, 2009.

1. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I set up my bator a few days before i put the eggs in. Well it's now 4 days in and i realize that the turner isn't working. So i guesss they haven't even been turned at all. Will they still be o.k. ???? I put the eggs in cartons and set them back in the bator after removing the turner. My hubby is trying to fix it.

Natalie

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I did the same thing and mine were not turned for three days and most still hatched. What happened is that the turner was off track and it was not turning.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

The eggs should be fine, Dont give up on them yet !!! Either turn them by hand or do the carton method.... The turners turn reallllly slow are you sure it's broken ??

4. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    Yes i'm sure. I put a line next to one of the arms and waited all night and today. The arm had not moved at all. The motor comes on, but it squeaks and it's really hot. I think it locked up. The bator was given to me so i have no idea how old the turner is.

Natalie

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    They will probably still hatch

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I personally have naver done anything silly like stop the turner so i could check them and then gone back a few days later to check again and realized I had not turned it back on...and they still hatched fairly well...if I had done something like that which of course I didn't...[​IMG]...sometimes I feel like an idiot

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Yes.....been there........ thought my turner wasn't working 'cuz every time I looked at the eggs they were facing the same direction. Even rushed out and bought a new turner. After reading the instructions (and the part about taking 4 hours to do a complete cycle), I set a timer for 2 hours to see if it they'd be facing the other direction. They were. But I decided to keep the new turner..........never know when I might need a second one........ [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  8. At this eary in the process, you will most likely be fine.
    Candle them around 8 days.
    When you candle, take each one out and keep the egg in the upright postition. Do Not turn the egg.
    See if you have a viable baby and return and let it hatch out.

I candle once or at most twice. The only reason i candle is to see if a viable baby is going. Here is a sight on candling.

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

There are others. I like this one because it tells you if you have a bad egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by