I'm so confused about her mother, help me please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Robin'sBrood, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My Silver Laced Wyandotte roo fathered a beautiful little pullet (Molly) this summer. She is 5 months old now and, except for her single comb, I swear she looks just like a pure bred Columbian Wyandotte. I have always thought her mother had to be my Silver Lakenvelder, because their coloring is so similar, but now that Molly has gotten so big, I'm not sure. From these hens (all hatchery stock), which do you think would most likely be her mother?

Silver Lakenvelder
    EE
    New Hampshire Red
    Speckled Sussex
    Red Sex Link

This is her a couple of months ago, when she was much smaller and her coloring wasn't nearly as complete.
    [​IMG]

Notice those yellow legs...
    [​IMG]

She was a cute little girl then but she is absolutely gorgeous now, and such a sweetheart! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm thinking the Sex Link. Lakenvelders have slate legs, and slate x yellow in my experience usually makes green or an odd slate-brown color. Sex Links have yellow legs, plus crossing one to a Silver Laced makes a multitude of results, one being a possible white with a little columbian showing through.

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That is very interesting. Chicken genetics is weird. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have two Brown Leghorn hens too. Surely those scrawny girls can't be her mother, can they?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Doubt it. I'm pretty sure Leghorns are simply white, so they'd just pass on white offspring or black offspring.

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Here are some new pics of my beautiful "mutt" girl, Molly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't she gorgeous?! She is a big girl, body wise, I think she's bigger than all my hens. Still think her mother is my red sex link hen?

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Anyone? And I was so excited to show off my pretty girl. [​IMG]

8. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I can't help you with who her mother might have been, but I have to say, I don't think she's "quite" columbian - something about her hackle feathers just isn't right, and I can't put my finger on it. Color wise, its a fit, but its the pattern - someone else may be able to help more, OR, I may be altogether wrong.

Whoever her mother is/was and whatever color/pattern she may be, she's GORGEOUS!!! I wish I could be so lucky with my mixes!!!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She could almost pass for a Delaware hen, except her hackles are a bit "heavy". Pretty girl!

10. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I would say New Hampshire red, because since her coloring is similar to a Delaware and Delawares originated from a NHR and a BR and than the light ones were bred to make even lighter chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by