I'm so confused about her mother, help me please

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
My Silver Laced Wyandotte roo fathered a beautiful little pullet (Molly) this summer. She is 5 months old now and, except for her single comb, I swear she looks just like a pure bred Columbian Wyandotte. I have always thought her mother had to be my Silver Lakenvelder, because their coloring is so similar, but now that Molly has gotten so big, I'm not sure. From these hens (all hatchery stock), which do you think would most likely be her mother?

Silver Lakenvelder
EE
New Hampshire Red
Speckled Sussex
Red Sex Link

This is her a couple of months ago, when she was much smaller and her coloring wasn't nearly as complete.
10133_img_0634.jpg

Notice those yellow legs...
10133_img_0649.jpg

She was a cute little girl then but she is absolutely gorgeous now, and such a sweetheart!
love.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking the Sex Link. Lakenvelders have slate legs, and slate x yellow in my experience usually makes green or an odd slate-brown color. Sex Links have yellow legs, plus crossing one to a Silver Laced makes a multitude of results, one being a possible white with a little columbian showing through.

Doubt it. I'm pretty sure Leghorns are simply white, so they'd just pass on white offspring or black offspring.

Here are some new pics of my beautiful "mutt" girl, Molly.

10133_img_1067.jpg

10133_img_1045.jpg

10133_img_1066.jpg

10133_img_1042.jpg

10133_img_1051.jpg

Isn't she gorgeous?! She is a big girl, body wise, I think she's bigger than all my hens. Still think her mother is my red sex link hen?

I can't help you with who her mother might have been, but I have to say, I don't think she's "quite" columbian - something about her hackle feathers just isn't right, and I can't put my finger on it. Color wise, its a fit, but its the pattern - someone else may be able to help more, OR, I may be altogether wrong.

Whoever her mother is/was and whatever color/pattern she may be, she's GORGEOUS!!! I wish I could be so lucky with my mixes!!!

I would say New Hampshire red, because since her coloring is similar to a Delaware and Delawares originated from a NHR and a BR and than the light ones were bred to make even lighter chickens.

Back
Top Bottom