im so confused and excited but not really sure

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbottom, Dec 13, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i have been noticing my 7 week old chicks are getting huge fast and today and a few days ago i swear my 7 week old buff orpington and my 7 week old silver laced wyandotte squatted i mean actually squatting like my older hens do i was like did you see that and they saw it too im shocked ive read on here a 9 week old layer but 7 weeks old and squatting its really confusing me and i dont know what to think i would never swear to anything and i swear to the mighty heavens above that i saw them squat i was petting them and down they went.

2. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    has anyone ever had this happen with your chickens mine came from ideal poultry if that helps and they turn 8 weeks wednesday. ide be happy to give any other information on them their combs are pink not big just pink. and they are almost a pound i would say lol they are small but big last week i was thinking they are roosters and now they are squatting so im confused and i just need insight on this please and thank you.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have serveral hens that squat {as you say} when we pet them. They are all about 5 1/2 months old. {not laying yet}[​IMG] Most have stopped now that they are used to us just petting them and they are not afraid of the touch any more. All our hens love there petting. I don't know much about chickens right now, but don't feel this is any more than trying to get away from the touching. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Squatting is a sign of submission. It is not a signal for egg laying.

5. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:actually my girls and my little ones love to jump on me and get petted all the time this is a squat like wings up body down just like my hens.

6. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:ya i know i just dont know why they would be doing it at this age

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    This is not too young to learn. Remember animal behavior is ingrained. They are programs to behave in certain ways with certain catalyst. You are dominant - they squat. Older chickens are dominant and they squat. Higher in the pecking order is dominant and they squat. Age is not a way judge the behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by