Im so confused !!! what day am I on !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, May 29, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    ok, so first time incubating eggs !! AND IM SO CONFUSED ON WAT DAY IM ON !! if i set 6 eggs on may 14 at 7:30 P.M. , what day am i on, !! my original calender said day 15 but when i candled, they looked WAY underdeveloped if they were 15, and i think i was counting just days on the can=lender,not a whole 24 hours !! ugh someone help me please !![​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I have a little cardboard sign (folded triangle) on top of the incubator with a marker written: started_____, hatch due_____,off turner______, I use a piece of duct tape over the space and write the date, then remove or tape over the space for the dates for the next hatch. 21 days for chickens, 28 for guineas. I often start the guinea eggs, then 7 days later add a few chicken eggs so to have them all hatch together and raise. This helps bond/imprint the guineas to keep them returning to the run after roaming for bugs during the day.
    You shouldn't worry so much about what day you're on based on time. About three days before the hatch is due, stop turning the eggs and "lockdown" until the hatch is finished, typically 24 hours after the first pipping is out.
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    You are indeed on Day 15.

And I sure wish you'd get over the Paris Hilton obsession.
  4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:im over it now...i just keep forgetting to change my stuff ! [​IMG]
  5. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    You are in day 15 until 7:30 this evening when you will start day 16. I would not worry to much about how they look. a lot of the growth happens in the last 7 days. I know I expect my Serama eggs to have the entire egg full except the air cell on day 19. with maybe just a little space. On day 14 or 15 the egg can easily look half empty. It seems to me that about half their entire hatching size is made during that last 4 or 5 days. Of course I have a lot more experience with quitters at all stages than anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by