I'm so discouraged, eggs won't hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Remudamom, May 19, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Songster

The eggs I've been putting in the incubator aren't doing well. This last time four hatched out of 14. I figured it was something I was doing wrong with the heat or humidity although both seemed just right. So I let my broody set on 7 eggs. Nothing. Today is day 22 and nothing. A lady I know who has been hatching forever has taken some of my eggs too, and can't get a single one of them to hatch. My rooster is one year old. My hens are from one to three years old.

The chicks are forming in the eggs but die before they hatch? So frustrating. I have plenty of eggs from my silkies and they won't hatch.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    Where did you get your stock from? Maybe some of the birds have hidden bad genetic genes

3. Remudamom

Remudamom Songster

Some from Ideal poultry and some at swap shows.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sounds like you may have a fertility problem.

1 - How many hens do you have? There may be too many for one rooster to breed successfully.

2 - Some roosters have preferences for certain hens, and will not breed others.

3 - The rooster may have poor fertility

4 - What feed are you giving your hens? Sometimes inadequate nutrition plays a part in hatchability.

Check your eggs for "bullseyes" when you break them open ( there are several threads with good pictures of these).

Good luck!

5. Remudamom

Remudamom Songster

If it's a fertility problem why are the chicks fully formed? I have one roo and four hens in my silkie flock.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  6. ssellis

ssellis In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    Silkies are hard to hatch anyway, its a breed thing. try a different rooster to check for viability. maybe the rooster and not the hens

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Fertility has nothing to do with the formation of the chicks once developing, just with whether the eggs are fertilized or not.

8. Remudamom

Remudamom Songster

Okay, so then it could still be a fertility problem even if the eggs are fertilized? Almost all of the eggs have chicks in them.

9. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What are you hatching in?

10. Remudamom

Remudamom Songster

An incubator a friend loaned me. It's one of those styrofoam still air things.

I just checked on my broody again and her eggs are peeping. Maybe there is hope there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: