I'm so excited, i sold my first eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by equine chick, Oct 26, 2007.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    My chickens are now giving me about 2 dozen eggs a day so, i put a sign up at my work(hospital) and sold my first eggs today. A doc at work contacted me and i sold 3 dozen eggs to him, wife is a baker and was thrilled by the thought of fresh eggs. I was drowning in eggs here, and excited i actually have customers without advertising in the paper. Before work finished, I also got five new customers for next week for orders and they want 1 dozen or more a week. Dh said we might actually have to get more chickens, (didn't he know that was my plan anyways next spring)

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Congrats [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just have 2 laying at the moment
    ((I get 2 a day which would be great for my family))

I never thought about when they all start laying [​IMG]

How much did you charge?
    maybe $1 a dozen & just use it for there feed & treats?

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Woohoo!! What a GREAT feeling, isnt it!?? Today my son and I made a large sign for the yard...I have...ohhhhhh, about 16 dozen in the fridge! [​IMG] If they lay them...will they( the buyers) come?? LOL COME ON HOLIDAY BAKEING TIME!

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Congrats, that's a great feeling isn't it. [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Way to go!!!!!

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I actuallly was only going to charge 1.50 dozen, but the doc insisted giving me 3.50 per dozen. I live in a rural area but not many egg sellers around. This already bought a bag of feed for me. The other buyers thought 3.50 was very reasonable since they are wanting 4.00 and up for 1 dozen for free range at the grocery store. The regualr eggs here are selling for 2.79(not caged free). I plan on keeping a money jar from the orders for the feed/bedding ect to see how it comes out. The girls got a thankyou treat of acorn squash tonight and feasted.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That is great! More chickens.......... your plan worked. [​IMG]

8. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Wow! $3.50 is fantastic - I doubt I'd ever get that much here.

9. Jemjoop

Jemjoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    Great news equine chick! That's quite a business.

10. kv

kv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2007
    Maryland
    Those "free range" and "cage free" eggs in Whole Foods and places like that, never mind the regular supermarket are a BIG RIP OFF. If you do some research on the web, you will learn that the chicks are raised in virtually the same industrial farming conditions as regular egg farms. They get by through legal semantic loopholes like "organic" feed and putting a "door" on the cage but never actually letting the chickens out.

Besides, I have been searching since 1979 for those old fashioned grass and table scrap-fed eggs and those fancy market eggs don't taste any different to me than supermarket eggs.

If your eggs are really better than that, then you can charge at least what the yuppies are paying at Whole Foods and Fresh Market.

KV

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by