1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so excited! I think they are about to hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, May 11, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    The mallard eggs I saved from being plowed under in a field and had no idea how far along are about to hatch. I asked advice about when to stop turning. I was told to stop when the whole egg except the air cell was dark. I guess I waited too long. Today was going to be the day I stopped turning and upped the humidity as the whole eggs looked dark. Well I moved them to the hatcher and went to candle one really quickly and it peeped at me. I had to run here and tell it to somebody who might be excited about it.
    When I first got into this hobby I learned quickly that most people don't seem to share the same enthusiasm about incubating and even ducks and chickens in general.
    People look at you funny when you gush about your birds...Oh well. They are the ones missing out!
    I hope they will be okay without stopping turning and having the wrong humidity until now. Its up around 67 and temp is steady at 100.

Wish me luck!

2. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    I wish you loads of luck. I am one day away of my first hatch but I dont think any are going to. It must be amazing the feeling of that peep
    you just saw. Congrats.

3. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    and good job for saving them from being plowed under!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

4. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Yay! So glad you saved the little guys! [​IMG]

I have 2 little baby ducks right now. They're very cute!

5. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    how exciting![​IMG]:weee:ya:celebrate

6. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Thats awesome [​IMG]
    Dont forget to post pictures

7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good luck on your hatch.

8. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks guys. I hope it all goes well! I would hate to see any of these guys die now they are so close. Who new I would be so worried?? I honestly feel like I will be heart broken if they get to this point and then not make it. GO DUCKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by