I'm so excited I'm going to burst!

BrandiMSlovak

Chirping
Feb 22, 2018
Berks County Pennsylvania
I just ordered my new additions for me flock!
My family isnt as excited as I think they should be! I ordered 1 buff Brahma 1 white Brahma and 2 more EE's from the ag store where I got my hens last year. They will be here april 24th! I've never had Brahmas can anyone tell me about them? I have a mutt rooster 2 barred rocks their top of the flock, 3 EE's 1 is on top with the barred rocks the other 2 are mid level, 2 australorps they are indifferent to the flock status, a spelled Sussex and a gold laces wyandotte their near the bottom of the flock and 3 Rir's their in the middle somewhere. All of my hens and my roo have very different personalities from each other even the ones of the same breed. Im hoping these ones will add good things to my happy family.

Yay!!! So exciting!!! :ya I love new baby chicks :love

I have kept Brahmas for years! With some treats and time, they can become total sweethearts! But just a forewarning, they can grow to be very large :p My Brahma, "Dumpling" weighs a whopping 10 pounds!

Yes, I love that all of my 31 chickens all have night and day personalities!

I loved my Brahmas!!! So gentle! Our little granddaughter is disabled and has been in her wheelchair since she was 9 months old. She also has autism and is mostly non-verbal. But she loved the chickens, and our Light Brahma, Tank, would carefully get up on Kendra's lap, settle herself in, and be content to sit there with Kendra, even though Kendra reaction was usually some of that typical autistic arm flapping and squealing. Tank just patiently waited until Kendra had calmed - did Tank actually calm her? - and then the two of them would sit in the sun together. I brood chicks outdoors from the start, and when I started integration at 3 weeks old, Tank was always the one to stand at the portal doors to the brooder and greet the chicks as they came out. We had to rehome our flock in August of last year, and the new owner says that Tank now taps on his patio doors, waits for Jim to come out, he picks her up and carries her with him as he goes out to do morning chores.

Be aware, as my friend @RodNTN has said, that they are big. I had Buff Brahmas and Light Brahmas, and the nest boxes that had worked so well for our EEs and other breeds fit the Brahmas like size 10 feet in size 8 shoes!! If others had laid first and Tank or one of the others got into the nest right after them to lay, broken eggs weren't unusual, just from them settling those behemoth bodies in and getting cozy. The plan for us was, when we got Brahmas, to get a year or two of eggs and then put them into the freezer, since there is so much more meat on them than on most dual purpose breeds. Well, Tank stayed. From the first time she got on Kendra's lap, she was safe! But my other grandkids were always around and I never once worried about any of the Brahmas.

If I sound like a Brahma fan, good, because I am. There are no more chickens in my future, but if there ever came a time when I did build another flock, you can bet my first selections would be Brahmas!

Can't wait to see pictures!!

I loved my Brahmas!!! So gentle! Our little granddaughter is disabled and has been in her wheelchair since she was 9 months old. She also has autism and is mostly non-verbal. But she loved the chickens, and our Light Brahma, Tank, would carefully get up on Kendra's lap, settle herself in, and be content to sit there with Kendra, even though Kendra reaction was usually some of that typical autistic arm flapping and squealing. Tank just patiently waited until Kendra had calmed - did Tank actually calm her? - and then the two of them would sit in the sun together. I brood chicks outdoors from the start, and when I started integration at 3 weeks old, Tank was always the one to stand at the portal doors to the brooder and greet the chicks as they came out. We had to rehome our flock in August of last year, and the new owner says that Tank now taps on his patio doors, waits for Jim to come out, he picks her up and carries her with him as he goes out to do morning chores.

Be aware, as my friend @RodNTN has said, that they are big. I had Buff Brahmas and Light Brahmas, and the nest boxes that had worked so well for our EEs and other breeds fit the Brahmas like size 10 feet in size 8 shoes!! If others had laid first and Tank or one of the others got into the nest right after them to lay, broken eggs weren't unusual, just from them settling those behemoth bodies in and getting cozy. The plan for us was, when we got Brahmas, to get a year or two of eggs and then put them into the freezer, since there is so much more meat on them than on most dual purpose breeds. Well, Tank stayed. From the first time she got on Kendra's lap, she was safe! But my other grandkids were always around and I never once worried about any of the Brahmas.

If I sound like a Brahma fan, good, because I am. There are no more chickens in my future, but if there ever came a time when I did build another flock, you can bet my first selections would be Brahmas!

Can't wait to see pictures!!

I think I read your post last night about chicks being outside early and not having brooders open from the top! Im actually going to redo part of my coop for the chicks because of that post!!! I am so excited to get them! Thank you for your input! I will definitely be posting pics!

Wow!! That sounds like a very colorful addition your going to get! Not to mention that they’re all fantastic breeds! Honestly I love brahmas, they’re big, poofy and are great foragers! Gotta love chick season! But I do tend to go out of hand when buying baby chicks! They’re to irresistible! can’t wait to see some photos!

I think I read your post last night about chicks being outside early and not having brooders open from the top! Im actually going to redo part of my coop for the chicks because of that post!!! I am so excited to get them! Thank you for your input! I will definitely be posting pics!

Aww, that's so nice to read! Thanks!

I have a couple of dark brahmas in my flock and they are the most personable of my chickens. They did mature much later than my other girls - both in growth and in egg laying. For a long time they were no larger than my SLWs but now they are significantly larger (enough to see it from 40'+ away) and they were the last of my birds to start laying - by a couple of months.

You can see the size difference between the dark brahmas and my SLWs and blue easter eggers in the pic below.

IMG_0377.JPG

Back
Top Bottom