I'm so excited in my new venture - peafowl!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hinkjc, May 12, 2010.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm really sure I don't need peafowl, but they are so gorgeous. [​IMG] DH and I have talked about raising them in the past and to add them to our array of fowl on our farm. He decided to go ahead and bid on some eggs. And won! [​IMG] So now I get to hatch peachicks for the very first time. Any advice from those who have incubated them with success? They should be here by the weekend and I'm so excited. [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] Congrats ! Have fun with them [​IMG] Hope for a 100% hatch!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Jealous!!!!!! That'll be my next venture. Me and a friend of mine wants peafowl badly and we've been looking for eggs. Where did you find yours?

4. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm hoping for a 100% hatch too! [​IMG] I'm going to have to start researching all about them to get my ducks (ah..peachicks) in a row. [​IMG]

DH found an auction on Ebay - I think for 8 eggs. I can't wait till they arrive. I bet their eggs are beautiful!

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    [​IMG] for you!!!

6. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Holy cow! I just checked out the prices on the Ebay peafowl eggs! [​IMG] I don't think I'll be ordering online. I recently talked to a local pet store owner and they happened to mention that someone locally comes in to buy super worms for their peafowl. I left my name and number with them so they could pass it along to them. I'm hoping for a call soon.

I hope you have a great hatch! Keep us posted, please. Super curious. [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yeah, they are a bit pricey but that is pretty typical for this type of species. I'll post pics when the eggs arrived and try to keep you updated on how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well. I just can't stop smiling at the thought of these big, beautiful, majestic birds on my farm. Too exciting!

8. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    hinkjc,,I joined your venture too this week,won two auctions on e-bay,one for 5 eggs,one for 8 eggs,,(those eggs should be here tomorrow) and I found a local man that lives 25 miles away that has several pairs,and his incubator is full,so I will be getting all his run over eggs on Friday. I also did a net seach thru the peafowl breeders directory,found a man here in Illinois that has 1 pair,and the hen is setting on 9 eggs,he doesn't want the chicks,only the pair for yard ornaments,,and is going to give me any,and all peachicks that hatches,from an India Blue male and a Black Shoulder hen,so he thinks,,use craigzoom or searchtempest to search craigslist for peafowl eggs,,you can find them a lot of times really close to you,cheeper than e-bay. I am limiting myself to trying to only buy eggs of peafowl less than 300 miles away,,but it is tough at times,,,and I too, have a lot of learning to do in the next few weeks.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck with your hatches too! I know what you mean about finding some local. We also found someone local who has peacocks and are checking to see if they have a few fertile eggs we could get to add to our shipped ones. I'll probably set some of our turkeys with them just in case of a bad hatch. I'm only hoping for a few chicks though.

10. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Put them under a broody if you can! I tried 2 or 3 a year ago and they never developed. When I cracked them open a couple days after their hatch date they looked pretty scrambled though
    They were shipped..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by