I'm so excited in my new venture - peafowl!

Yaaay! Good luck!
By the way, is there a *mute peafowl*?
smile.png

Lisa

Thanks so much!

Hehe "mute peafowl" - now that would be nice!

Well I won 2 more auctions on e-bay last night,total of 7 eggs in both auctions,,I keep telling myself to just go,sit on the couch and watch tv,,,,,shut this puter off,,I know the expense,I know the poor hatch rates,,but somewhere this hard headed german has got the "itch" to see how these turns out.

Congrats and good luck. How many eggs will you be up to now? I'm settling on one batch just to see how it goes. I can't believe the size of those eggs.
ep.gif

hinkjc,,with the 7 won in the last two auctions,,plus the 27 already baking,,will give me 34,,plus I will make 1 more trip south to the man who is selling me his eggs locally,,called him yesterday and he said his hens hadn't laid any eggs since I was there last friday,,but we had tons of rain here since then,today is the first the sun has been out in 4 days.I'm hoping from this many that I get 4-5 to hatch out and make it.Are those expectations too high??

There is only one down side to peafowl and that's peafowl math.
smile.png
With a Steve & Sharon twist

You start with a pair of India Blues
which leads to a trio
which becomes 2 pair

Then you decide you like Emerald Spaulding

you start with a pair
which becomes 2 pair

Then Sharon makes a comment she likes white ones. you know the drill
a pair become 2 pair.

The last pair of whites was for her birthday and I ordered a 2 year old pair from Leggs peafowl - They were the biggest hit at the PO, when they asked what was in the box and I opened one corner and one them stuck it's head out and was looking all around. lol

Anyway,
The eggs are big aren't they? We always had about a 50% hatch from shipped eggs. Same temps and RH as turkey eggs (they are pretty much the same all the way thru). We feed them a 28% medicated game bird starter. They have longer legs than turkeys so they are sort of wobbly for the first 1/2 a day or day in the brooder. It's funny watching them figure out how to use those long legs. Their wing feathers grow out pretty quick so they can clear the sides of the brooder early. We lost an Emerald Spaulding last year from a broken neck - it jumped up into the top of the brooder. Teach them to roost as early as you can it helps later. That will get you thru the first month or so.

Good luck on your hatches!

Steve

Steve,
The man I am buying eggs from locally has 1" poly netting all across the tops of all his aviaries,,they are stretched tight.When he ran each group out for me to look at,seemed like 1 from each pen,, once they seen me did a skyrocket launch straight upwards.The net had a lot of "give" to it and he explained he uses this method to keep the birds from injuring themselves while doing this.They were only "flighty" once they seen me standing outside their pens,but he told me they were all very tame around him. When I build my pens for them,I plan on using the same process he has done.I plan on at least a 20'x30' pen for each group.I will have a 3 sided open front place for them all to get out of the wind,and a place to roost and nest if they desire.More building,more money,more weekends taken up for construction.

Steve, that was cute, but I know what you mean. Everything seems to be very addicting, doesn't it. Thanks for the great info. I so hope this hatch goes well and I get to see these little ones learn to use those long goofy legs. I love baby turkeys, so this should be fun.

silkiechicken - join in the fun..get some peafowl eggs!
celebrate.gif
I know, I know. They're not for everyone, but I am so excited to hopefully have some. I'll be sure to share pics for you to enjoy them with me.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom