1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so excited! My husband is the best!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spacecowgirl, Sep 27, 2011.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    So I've spent the last hour or so talking to my husband about our coop and pen design...( the coop is huge and the pen is too small, well, not for the four birds we have, but you have to plan for some chicken math ) [​IMG]

Anyway, he just drew me out a great design for expanding the run around the side of our house and told me to go stake it out tomorrow!!! I'm so happy! He's on board! I was sure he thought I was going crazy over these chickens, but obviously he has his own designs in mind! Hooray!!!! [​IMG]

Oh, but the only problem is, I already have an 8 foot fence for their original pen, and my 5 1/2 month old pullet constantly flies over it. He says we need to clip her wings....I don't really want to do that, because I enjoy her back door visits...(and her in house visits I keep secret from him:)

But to construct an expanded run all around the other side of my house at 8 foot tall will be quite a feat!

Wish me luck!

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    take and post pics!!! [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    What a guy--Sounds like he's definitely a keeper! Could it be that he's 'on board' now because he's grown fond of the chickens & maybe has been having some inside visits of his own?
    Wouldn't that make ya go " [​IMG] "

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Wow. Just the opposite around here. My wife told me "those chickens are yours". She will stand off and watch um but that's it. She had a childhood experence with chickens and now don't want anything to do with. But then there are a number of things we do alone. I do my music and she does her zoo and museum stuff. Two different worlds. But she's a school teacher and that's pretty much her whole life. When she quits I guess it time for the grave.[​IMG] But man can she cook.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    He sounds like mine [​IMG] Unfortunately, you won't be able to solve the escaping problem without wing clipping or building a roof over your run. Good luck!

6. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    post pics please

7. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Just put netting over the top of the run, that way, they stay safe & you do not have to clip the wings.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I agree don't clip their wings they may need them to avoid danger. I personally don't clip any of my chickens only defense mechanisms such as wings, talons, or roos spurs that is all they have to protect themselves with JMO. I free range my chickens though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  9. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Quote:Yay!! Gotta love it when our hubby's get onboard w/ our ideas!! Congrats & good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG] My hubby & I just finished our coop renovation & are starting on fixing our run tomorrow. Post plenty of pics, I can't wait to see! [​IMG]

10. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Nah... mines the best! Here's my DH working on my 3rd coop and he finished the run to!
    [​IMG]
    All kidding aside I hope your coop turns out perfect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by