I'm so excited!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Teresaann24, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I placed an order through the mail for buff silkie chicks from ideal I am so excited to get them...I am hoping my mail gets there before the 10th and they still have 8 left so they can fill my order if not I have to wait till the 22nd. Which is gonna be hard because I am so excited now I can't wait any longer..LOL

I am in kentucky so the mail has to go all the way to texas I am thinking it will take 2 to 3 days to get there so I am thinking it will get there by the 9th so I am hoping they can get my order filled then. After they recive my payment and they have what i want how long will it take before i get my chicks? 2-3 days also?

I also heard they will send about 15 packing peanuts with my order of only 8 buff silkie chicks what breeds do they normally send or is it always just whatever they have. Are the packing peanuts ALWAYS roos?

Sorry I am just so excited this is the first time I have order from any place. I just have always bought my silkies locally. So this is something different and new to me.

Any info would be great! Or just to share your stories of buying your own through the mail would be great also.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've seen them arrive anywhere from 24hrs to a week +. Depends on the post actually.
    Not all the packing peanuts are roos. There are plenty of people here who have gotten a freebie hen or two.

Congrats! Post pictures when they arrive [​IMG]

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    wow a week with no food? Can they survive that long without eating?

4. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I said it can take a week, I didn't say they'd arrive alive. It really depends on your post office, but yes, some packages DO get lost.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Wow that is scary I think i'd throw a fit if my babies arrive a week later and dead!!!

6. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Well, obviously, you call and tell the hatchery if that happens. They should reimburse you or send new chicks.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    that is good to hear but it would still be sad. Hopfully they arrive on time and everyone is healthy. This is my first time ordering through the mail so I hope everything goes well and all.

8. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    It doesn't happen that often or hatcheries wouldn't be busy. I'm sure your chicks will arrive just fine. [​IMG]

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Me too! I will post pics as soon as they arrive!

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Question...I have a hen who has a chick that is about a week old still very tiny. I am wondering when I get the other chicks from ideal could I put those in with her too or would she reject them? I would put them in with her at night at roosting time but then i am scared if she rejects them she will kill them before i can get to them in the morning. What do you think would she take them? This girl is very motherly never throws her babies away raising them till they are huge and still mothers them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by