I'm so EXCITED!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brounii, Sep 15, 2010.

1. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    Hi all,

I am so EXCITED! My hubby and I went shopping today and found these stacking plastic containers at Lowe's. My first reaction was, " These would make nice nesting boxes", then the more I thought about it, " These are perfect. Already have lower lips built in to keep bedding in, Plastic, so easy to clean, and black which will keep it nice and dark for the chickens (you know how they like their privacy, lol).

I've already checked to see if they would fit on the wall that they are going on, and it's a perfect fit. We'll be cutting square holes in the backs of each one so that we can retrieve the eggs from the outside of the coop. Woo Hoo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, by the way....the dimensions are approx 12"d x 12"h x 13 1/2"w

2. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Wow those are just plain cool! You said you got those at Lowes? Were they expensive? I'm building my coop and this is a great idea for the nesting boxes! Good Job!

3. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Good buy!
    Those look perfect for nesting boxes.

4. brounii

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    Thank you Ivyblaze. I believe they were $7.90 each at Lowe's [​IMG]

Thank you Jx2inNC! [​IMG]

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Those are awesome! I bet they would be so easy to keep clean. I as all the others have the same question, were they expensive? I have priced pre-made nest boxes and just to get a 4 hole shipped to my house would be over $150! [​IMG]

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Very nice!

I love my plastic lidded bins; the only problem is that I only bought two and now they're discontinued and I can't find any more.

7. brounii

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    I know what you mean 'txcarl1258'. I, too, looked for pre-made boxes simply because I'm not the best builder around, lol. That's why I was so excited to find these. You can't beat it for only $7.90 each at Lowe's. Way cheaper than buy a pre-made one and so much simpler than trying to build one myself. [​IMG]

By the way.....I have 8 Barred Plymouth Rock chics. They are now 3 1/2 weeks old and getting bigger everyday. We need to hustle and get a move on with the coop.

8. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I might have to pick me up some of those!

9. brounii

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    We are planning on putting our leftover roofing panels (corrugated green) over the top of the boxes like a pitched roof, angled toward the floor, so the chickens won't be able to roost on top and adding privacy for the top set of boxes. We'll see if that pans out or not, lol.

10. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    going to buy some now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by