1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm SO Excited!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovetopaint, Jan 20, 2015.

1. lovetopaint

lovetopaint Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hens went broody, 24 days before my mail order chicks arrive!!
    My plan is to sit the hen on 'eggs' in the brooder in our basement and on the 21st day, under the cover of night, replace eggs with chicks.
    I can't wait till my babies get here!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What Kind of "eggs" will she be setting on----Unfertile, fake?

Will Your hen---Like the Idea of setting on eggs in the brooder---in your basement?

3. lovetopaint

They'll be unfertile unless I have a rooster I didn't know about!
    She'll be in her own private brooder with plenty of hay, etc. I'm going to build one out of plywood. (Don't worry, there will be plenty of ventilation. I'm thinking that the top and one side will be made primarily of hardware cloth.) The reason it'll be in my basement is because it's WAY too cold for chicks out there!!

The backup plan, in case she rejects the chicks, will be a cardboard box with a heat lamp for them and back to the coop for her.

4. lovetopaint

By the way, I'm ordering from Estes Hatchery. I'll be getting (all pullets) 3 red sex links, 3 polish, 3 Light Brown Leghorns, and 3 Easter Eggers. I'm so excited!!! [​IMG]

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I share your excitement! There's nothing like the expectation of new chicks! I pre-ordered six from MyPetChicken for a May 11 hatch. I'm as excited as if they're coming tomorrow!

Two years ago, I had pre-ordered 10 chicks from Privett Hatchery for a friend and myself, and three weeks before they were due to arrive, my serial broody went broody, and I slipped a couple of fertilized eggs under her.

The day before the new chicks came, she hatched one Brahma chick. It was so cute to hear him chirping and that little head sticking out from under his broody!

Well, I decided to see if she would take care of the hatchery chicks. When they came, I put them in the nest and she got hysterical, pecking at them in a rage. It scared me so much, I snatched up all the chicks, including hers, and took them all and put them in the brooder.

I have no idea if that was normal, or if she would have gathered them under her, or if she was going to kill them. I reacted with pure instinct to protect them.

Just wanted to give you an idea of what some broodys might do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by