I'm so exited!!!!!!!!!

My chicken is cuter

Songster
13 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I got my first egg today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, actually there were two so I'm assuming they were layed in the past two days.
I found them when I was cleaning the hen house.
They were hidden in the corner. Suprise. Suprise. She didn't use the nesting box.
The one that I'm pretty sure layed them is a production red,but when I compared them to the store bought they were smaller than the large.
Is that normal or is she not the breed I was told she was?

Congratulations on the eggage! Sometimes a hen's first few eggs may be smaller than expected. My barred rock's first egg was a little bigger than a marble but perfect in every other way. Give your hen time, her eggs may get bigger.

Congrats on your first egg
yippiechickie.gif

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

You may want to try putting a golf ball or "fake" egg in the nesting box so she gets the idea. For the first few times I think they are caught "unaware" and more prone to "going" where they were @ the time. Hopefully she will get the idea...
jumpy.gif

Those first pullet eggs really are so exciting Even when you raise group after group of chickens...still those first eggs are a happy occassion.

The first few eggs from pullets are usually smaller and sporadic compared to what/how they'll eventually lay. Often they'll start out and then quit laying for a week or so until their body adjusts. After that they'll lay regularly.

No worries...just give them a couple weeks and you'l be quite pleased. Production Reds are normally great layers of large to xlg eggs.

Congrats! Nothing tastes better than homegrown eggs!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom