1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so happy I got my Clementine today! Queensland Heeler

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Moochie, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Been looking for a farm dog for a long time.. Finally! Clem's parents were very lean looking and very well trained. The owner had horses, goats, cattle, and the 3 ACDs he had didn't bother them. We're making appointments asap for Clementine. Already she is quick to learn but I know I'll have a journey with her, as they are a lot of work and full of energy. Good for me because I like dogs that will accompany me on long walks, I'm not the type that just goes around the block, I go into the hills. Of course pictures too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have ACDs? Share pictures stories :D

2. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    aaaaawwwwwww, Sooooooooooooooo, cute [​IMG] Sounds like she will have a great life with you

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    CDs are amazing dogs! My girl has made it so I'll always have to own a least one. Enjoy your cute little gal. I just love the all-working farm cattle dogs,

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]She is adorable!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Thank you! Today we started having her use a collar. When she gets used to having a collar on next will be getting the hang of a leash. We're also having her get used to her name, I shortened it down to Clemmy because maybe Clementine is too many syllables for her to understand. Anyways Clemmy doesn't know her name yet and she'll only follow me so far until going back to her dog house/play area but she'll follow my mom out to the drive-way. Work work work.

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    What age would I start training her for dog sports? I'm not really into competitions.. BUT I would like to get involved with frisbee and maybe agility.. I'm not too sure about agility though, her tail is docked and I know that affects swift turns and balance for agility. Even though she'll be working sports would be fun too. I'd love to find a group or organization in my county that is near me, Bakersfield is the main county city but I live almost 2 hours away from it. Everyone needs experience with something so I should start with this I guess, with help from others.
    Would I start with obedience training first then onto sports? I know I sound clueless but I didn't do any of this with my dachshund, my mom trained her when I was a kid. My mom is in pain a lot nowadays so she isn't up for training that much anymore.. Mom potty trained her, leash trained, dad taught her how to sit up for a treat, and socialized her with people. It'll be up to me now, would it be better to hire someone? I have no idea how much trainers charge though, if it's too much we can't do it :/ I really wanna whistle train Clementine too. I remember seeing some collie dog off leash at a swap meet and all it's owner had to do was whistle for it. I can't whistle with my mouth though, I'll have to use a P.E. whistle or something.

7. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    As soon as you get 'em - really! They are never too young. Here is my agility Sheltie when she was 11 weeks, learning that going between the uprights of a "jump" gets you a cookie!

[​IMG]

You shouldn't do any physically strenuous training with a young puppy (not until the bone plates close), but the main thing they should be learning from the start is that training is fun. I can't emphasize that enough. Your pup needs to learn that interaction with you is full of praise, cookies, and toys! You are the most interesting thing in the entire world! I train puppies with completely positive methods - the goal is to have a young dog who has "learned how to learn" - after that you can teach them just about anything.

So really, it doesn't matter WHAT you are teaching them at the very beginning, but rather HOW you are teaching them. I teach some of the obedience basics first ("come" being the most important, I think), and things like "look" ("I want to see your eyeballs" LOL), "leave it", "give" and "get it" (all taught with a toy at first).

Quote: While it is true that dogs do tend to use their tail as a rudder when doing tight turns, a dog that has never had a tail isn't going to miss it. I may have Shelties, but my agility club is a Aussie agility powerhouse in our area. Aussies don't have tails either, but don't tell all the MACH Aussies in our club that they need tails to do agility! Plenty of ACDs running agility in our area, too.

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    She is adorable. They are called blue heelers here and one of my neighbours has one. She is super smart.

9. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Wow she is beautiful! Mom wants a sheltie pretty badly, but we couldn't find anyone in Southern California with puppies. She still wants one but I'm pretty content with just Clem.
    If only I knew where Clemmy took her toys, pig ears, and our outdoor shoes! She had 3 chewy toys for her gums, 4 play toys, and a couple of pig ears .. I can't find them now. She also takes the shoes that we have at our door step.. I'll be able to train her out of that right? I'm gonna have to be doing the training because classes are too expensive and I'd really like to learn everything I can. I'm very sweet to her and whenever I step outside she runs up to me, tucks her stub of a tail, ears go back, and she rolls onto her back around my feet. I pet her whenever she does that, is that okay?

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    She's also been getting a lot of crap from some barred rock hens, it seems they're not afraid of Clemmy anymore. When I was feeding the chickens this morning the hens were chasing her and pecking her, not enough for injury though. Clem knows better than to touch the birds so she just turns her head and rolls around. I think she's frustrated that she's not allowed to touch them lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by