I'm so happy with my dog and my chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Someone here a while back posted a link showing Caesar working with a lab who attacked chickens.

Well, since that link was posted, I've been working with my dog. (german shepherd) I started by holding onto her collar and taking her in with me when I gave the chickens their scratch. I'd lay her down next to the chickens. After a few days of this, I'd make one squat in her range, so she could smell. (I made sure that I did it in a way that she didn't think I was giving them to her) She didn't try to agressively bite, but she did try to mouth them. (to which she was INSTANTLY corrected)

Then I proceeded to put her shock collar on her, and had my finger on the zap button just in case. (she responds instantly to the vibrate, but I wasn't taking any chances, so I was ready to shock her if she went for them) She tiptoed around the chickens. (so funny to watch her do this) She was perfect with them, and we've done this lots of times now. We even had an escape chicken get out of the run, she wandered over to check it out, but when I called her off, she instantly went away from it.

Today, I was cleaning the coop, and she came in with me. She was great with them (and I didn't even have the zapper) Not even flight gets her prey drive anymore. She's calm with them, and they are calm with her around.

I'll never trust her alone with them. (afterall, she's a dog and it's her nature) But I am so happy that I might be able to give the chickens supervised free range and not have to stress about my dog with the chickens. (or that the kids will let her out when not supposed to) Even if I don't free range them (due to hawks), it's so nice to have a happy dog with me and happy chickens. I never thought this would be possible to have them coexist in peace.[​IMG]

ETA: Thank you to whoever posted that link. I'm forever grateful.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
  2. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    [​IMG] that is so cool!

3. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Awesome! We have three dogs and two are big. One is a breed of a bulldog, she is 75lbs, one is part dingo and do they chase the chickens? NO. They don't pay them any attention.

Do you know who chases my chickens? Nope not the cat or the turtle it is the third dog who is 7lbs! LOL Of course my chickens are bigger than he and they just stare at him like REally?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

Little dog syndrome? Why is it always the little ones that think they can take everybody on?

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on getting your dog to learn to control herself! [​IMG] [​IMG] That is AWESOME!!!

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by