I'm so in trouble, falling in love with an Easter Egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Darklingstorm, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I received my newest fuzzy butts a week ago today and already one is becoming my absolute favorite. She is currently called "Lady Hawk". I so love her coloring and hoping very hard that it doesn't change when she gets her adult feathers. I have 9 older chickens and I've been able to keep a farmer's perspective as to their future. But this one little fuzzy is making it very hard to see her as a future dinner when she is done with egg laying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. trophywife

trophywife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    baldwin
    What a pretty little thing, thanks for sharing

3. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

Go ahead and keep her around. She's a sweetie [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 she's so Adorable!! I'd keep her! [​IMG]

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Why kill her? Chickens can live 10+ years and lay for most of their life. They just lay less as they get older. No rule saying you have to kill her! Treat her as a pet! [​IMG]

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Because after a few years they don't lay enough eggs to earn their keep.

She is cute though!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

She is cute though!

Then maybe try chickens not from hatchery stock? . . . . I've heard of and even personally known a lot of chickens who lived beyond 3 years and continued laying just as well as they did their second, sometimes even first year.

And putting the "hatchery stock" subject away, some Easter Eggers are actually known to be some pretty reliable layers, beyond the normal 3 years. Their origin breed, the Quechua can continue laying even beyond 10 years. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have an Easter Egger named Bossy and I just adore her! She is constantly coming up to the house to be picked up and held. Yours is adorable!

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

She is cute though!

Then maybe try chickens not from hatchery stock? . . . . I've heard of and even personally known a lot of chickens who lived beyond 3 years and continued laying just as well as they did their second, sometimes even first year.

And putting the "hatchery stock" subject away, some Easter Eggers are actually known to be some pretty reliable layers, beyond the normal 3 years. Their origin breed, the Quechua can continue laying even beyond 10 years. [​IMG]

I was more refering to a chicken living 10+ years, after 2-3 years egg production drops. I have mostly mutts, and thats when they start slowing down, about 2 1/2 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by