Im So Mad at Myself! I killed her bye accident :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by usschicago1, Jun 18, 2010.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    i had this chick that i absolutely loved. The mom abandoned it because something was wrong with it. It just wouldnt grow. So i kept her in a wire cage outside and in a brooder at night or when it was cold. Today it was 90 degrees. Before school i put it outside. Not thinking later in the day hes be in full sun. I just got home and there she was , dead. It was curled up next to her stuffed animal friend [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I feel so awful! I wonder if while it was dying it was thinking where am i to save it? It really loved me and i let it down [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    [​IMG]

3. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR
    [​IMG]

4. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

I have accidently killed mine too. It's tuff.
    Feel better [​IMG]

5. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    So sorry for your loss! I hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

6. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Tough call......it may have died through no fault of your own. If mom abandoned it, there was a reason why - natural selection, she saw something in it the we cant. Often people try and "save" something that has been abandoned because we dont want to see it suffer. But in reality, we are most likely making it do just that - suffer.

I would say that it would have died whether you were there for it or not. Take comfort in the fact that it had a great life, while it was alive.

7. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry. she was pretty. dont beat yourself up over it though, it might have passed away anyway [​IMG]

8. [​IMG] [​IMG] It is okay [​IMG] Sorry for your loss and I will pray for you [​IMG]

Matthew

9. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree. It probably didn't die from the heat, but from whatever made the mom abandon it. Animals can sense these things, you know. Now you are aware that they can overheat, and I'm sure you will remember what could happen. I don't think that it was what killed the chick, so stop blaming yourself. [​IMG]

I'm sure that the chick was thinking of you. How you took care of it when it's mom abandoned it to die, how you gave it a fuzzy friend that always wanted to cuddle, how you gave it really cool treats and let it play outside!

When I put any birds outside I always put some type of shelter, that way they can hide from wild birds, weather, or just go somewhere quiet. A small rubbermaid tub on it's side even works. Sometimes mine like to just hide when they are outside. [​IMG]

It's ok and it wasn't your fault! [​IMG]

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by