IM SO MAD!!!! do i have a right to be????

bridgetteanne

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
I have 10 hens 1 Roster. One of my hens hatched two eggs about 3 weeks ago. I also just got 3, 3month old silkies. Yesterday i let them out in my yard which i do around 4pm everyday never had a problem. we are not fenced in but they stay in MY yard. A dog two houses down (a Beagle) came in MY yard and took my baby, and two silkies. my neighbor right next door came over to let me know she saw the dog carrying one of my chickens. So i went over to the house and looked in there trash ( this is were she told me to look) and there was my little guy only 3 weeks old. i have no clue were my silkies went. they she precedes to tell me that is all my fault for letting my chickens run around MY yard. The dog was just doing what is natural to him. OK i get that if a dog sees a chicken it will want it. but on your street you have to have your dogs fenced in or on a leash and these neighbors ALWAYS just let there older dog out the back door. ( never had a problem with that one). I have seen the Beagle out a couple of time but in never came over in our yard so i just did not think anything of it. ANYWAY back on point. YES i am part to blame i should have been watching them or had them stay in the coop. BUT i dont feel that is was all my fault. then at the bus stop this morning my son was telling her that a dog came and got our little chick. SHE went off on my 5 year old. Well your mamma should have keep them in the coop, so the dog would not get it. dogs do what a dog is going to do she just keep going. ( IT CAME ON MY PROPERTY!!!) so my question to you all is, yes im upset that i lost 3 chicks to a dog, but Im i being unfair being this made at this women or do I really just need to be made at myself for letting them out unsupervised. or as she feels letting them out at all????

GGGRRRRRR!
It is your right to do what you want on
your property. There are laws regarding
dogs wandering.
Sorry for your loss. Check you local leash laws.

There is a leash law. You cannot let your dog wander around and kill your chickens. But you do need to protect them. I would tell her that the dog will be shot if he comes back and the law is on your side.

That is really sad that the dog killed your chickens.

ok, i dont mind, well i do mind, but i mind less if a wild animal comes into my yard and kills one of my chickens. HOWEVER someones dog!! another story to me.
their dog should stay in its yard whether she needs to tie it or fence it or whatever she is responsible for her dog.
if your chicken goes into her yard and her dog kills it thats on you

Last edited:
In nearly all locations in the USA it's legal to shoot and kill a dog that is threatening livestock, and that includes chickens, on your own property. And every city has leash laws. Oh sure the dog was just doing what a dog does when it has an irresponsible owner who is perfectly fine with putting the dog at risk for disease and injury by allowing it to roam free.

You have every right to be angry. It's your property and no one is supposed to be letting their animals roam on it.

So sorry about your loss. We have had afew similar losses just this week, our Americaunas got raided and 4 birds are gone, only feathers left.

It is a sorry thing that individuals are so selfish, they do not understand the underlying laws of property and province. The beration of a 5 yr old is uncontionable.

1)The law is clear, that she is responsible for her animal, leashed or not, leash laws were created to mitigate encroachments to property, and eliminate threats to persons and property. (Animals)

2)Any threat to live stock and poaching, theft, harrasment, entering a property, may be dealt with in appropriate authority. Predation issues are commonly resolved by destroying the threat.

You have a wide area to move in, here, be smart, and put them on notice. Then decide whether non-destructive, or destructive actions are appropriate.

Ok, here's the thing. If your birds are on your property and a dog comes into your yard and takes your bird then the dog owner is in the wrong. The dog owner has the responsibility to pay attention to their animals and keep them on their yard. So, yes, you could have her replace your birds. Now, if your birds were off your property then you are in the wrong. Granted dogs will be dogs and beagles are hunting dogs but the owner has to be responsible for her dog and what that dog does. If that dog bit your child in your yard you know darn well something would be done.

I have a bunch of guineas, 2 young turkeys and 2 young chickens. They were all the same age which was about 2 months old and free ranged during the day. They got into the neighbors yard by getting over a fence. They had 3 dogs and one of them got 2 of my birds, a guinea keet and a chick. I can not blame the neighbors dog at all because my birds went into there yard. No, I'm not upset with them or there dog. It was my responsibility to keep my birds safe. The dog that got the birds was a pit/hound cross but it didn't matter if it was a retreiver. I can't blame them. Also, a starving hunting dog came into my yard and ate 6 four day old turkey poults and injured a duck. I called animal control who picked the dog up and yes, if the owner was ever found I would have had him pay for the 6 poults and my injured duck. I wasn't made at the dog because it was starving I was PO'd with the owners.

As for yelling at the 5 yr old. Ok, I would definitely be in that persons face and hold her accountable for my lost birds. Shame on her.

Your neighbor was irresponsible about her dog, but it is not always possible to 100% of the time have dogs under control. They do get loose from time to time, so if it wasn't that neighbors dog, it could just as easily have been another dog.

The neighbor should have confessed though, rather than dumping the birds in the trash, that was cowardly on their part.

The bottom line is, though, I think when we have vulnerable animals it's our responsibility to protect them, and when we don't, we have to save some of our anger for ourselves, learn from it, give and accept forgiveness, and move on.

Holding a grudge never helps much, it's like letting someone live rent free in your head. No future in that.

Back
Top Bottom