1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so naughty!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ms.Frizzle, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well, after my second year living in the dorms, my chicken fever is at an all time high. I'm craving the little buggers so bad! So guess what one of my friends tells me? That his mom has an incubator. And tons of chickens just laying like crazy... So currently I'm messing with getting the temperature set right, refreshing my brain about incubation (rather then studying for the finals right around the corner), and going to bed with chicken eggs floating through my head. We're not allowed pets, but the're only birds once they hatch, right? [​IMG] A couple days in the incubator, then its off to the farm with them! I'm going to be so crushed if they don't hatch... They're going to be a majority of "Browns," possibly some Light Brahma, EE, maybe some banty mutts, and the rooster they had in the coop was a Sumatra mix. There might even be a guinea egg or two thrown in for good measure! I'm not to concerned about whats hatching, as long as I get to sate my lust for chickens, hold a couple, and pick out some names. My roomie is also excited about this, although it is chicken eggs we're hatching, I think she's calling dibs on the incubator for when her snake lays eggs next.

When*knock on wood*if they hatch, I'll be sure to put up lots of pictures. Keeping my fingers crossed!

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] Don't worry- we won't tell that you're going to have peeps in your dorm [​IMG]

3. Ms.Frizzle

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Ha ha, thanks. Lots of people "secretly" have animals in my dorm, ranging from turtles and hermit crabs, to a brazillian possum that someone on my floor has. As long as no-body complains, no-body cares!

4. Ms.Frizzle

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

This is the incubator I'm borrowing (its under my desk). Nothing fancy, just a little giant with a fan and auto turners, using a meat thermometer to check heat. Come the 25th/26th we're going to candle them to see if these eggs are any good. To be truthful, there was only two roosters in the coop with the 30+ hens, so I'm worried that there arn't going to be many/any fertilized ones. The age of the hens worries me too, many are in their third year, and I know fertility goes down with age. If that is the case, then we're putting in any eggs I bring from my hens this weekend. I want BABIES!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    HAHA!The college I am going to doesnt have dorms, so I don't have to worry about it. But if I was to. Id bring my chinchilla with me.[​IMG] Cant leave without him!

6. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you get caught tell them its research for your thesis.

7. Ms.Frizzle

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    So, everything is going... Okay. This is the first time I've used an automatic turner, and the yolks are all up at the top of the egg. (Big end up) Does this affect how well I'm going to be able to see the chicke development compared to incubating on its side? There is only ONE egg that I would say deffinitly has something going on in it, and then a few MAYBE eggs. They've been in for a week now, so I'm gonna start chucking ones that look empty prolly mid next week. *sigh* I was hoping for oodles of chicks. : (

8. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    If you get caught, just tell them it's an educational experiment [​IMG]

9. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Do they look like this?
    [​IMG]

If so they are fine

10. Ms.Frizzle

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    What stage is that egg in? Mine are 10 days old, looking a lot like that. In a few, the air sack has gotten really large. I'm kinda worried about it, especially cuz there are a couple banty eggs that I think are going to die because the eggs are evaporating so much. I think i can see some viening comeing down from the yolk, but it could just be lines in the shell. Idk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by